J Lawrence

Sour crop

Hi, I am hoping someone can help. 

I am new to keeping chickens I have 4 which I have had for a couple of months.  I am fairly sure one has sour crop. 

I followed advice on the Internet and separated her from the others in a dog crate with out food or water yesterday and early this morning when I went to check on her and massage her crop again some smelly liquid came out of her mouth so I tipped her forward a  little so she could get rid of it. 

I have kept checking on her every hour but I am having trouble finding a vet that will see her and I am not sure what to do next.

Thank you for any advice you can give. 

It sounds like you’re doing the right thing. 

Let her have water and after a maximum of 48 hours some pellets too.

There are lots of posts on here about sour crop so have a trawl through. 

If you let us know where you are there may be someone who can suggest a nearby vet.

Not really, I made the mistake of giving her a small amount of food this morning which she did not eat much of but her crop has gone ballooney again and I have just had to help her get rid of more liquid by tipping her forward a little and massage her crop. 

Just keep her on water and massage the crop gently as often as possible. There are two reasons for a sour crop. The usual one is too much food taken in before drinking and then going to bed. It results in a solid lump of undigested food in the crop which rots and goes sour and can be removed with water and massaging. The second is a digestive impaction. This can be from eating indigestible material, so anything from cigarette ends to large fruit stones or long grass. The second is very rarely resolved, although we have managed to twice clear some cherry stones after starvation and forced mobility.

Good luck.

I’m sorry to hear this. 

Ive had experience of both getting better and not making it from sour crop, but I have to say I’ve never had one come back from it once there’s been enough stuff to pour out if the beak.

I had a pekin who hadn’t got this far who got better after treatment with daktarin (not licensed for poultry use) which I think is very similar to nystatin so don’t totally give up hope if you can get that into her.

Sorry to hear that @J Lawrence. It does sound like a digestive impaction which prevented food from passing through, leaving it then to rot in the crop. Big question is what caused it?

Have they been wormed with Flubenvet? I ask because sufficient worms in the gut will stop even small things from passing through. Another frequently encountered problem is eating long grass. It takes about 2 weeks for an impaction to lead to death, so did something happen then? In our case we lost two when we moved the run to grass that wasn't cut short, combined with only one feeder. The assumption is the two at the bottom of the pecking order got bullied off it and ate grass instead, which they couldn't digest. insufficient grit may also stop them grinding up anything they eat. 

Yes they have always had access to grit, they were supposed to be wormed when I got them just over 3 months ago but I have ordered some for the other 3 girls to have just to be on the safe side although they seem fine. Izzy was recently put to the bottom of the pecking order as the youngest has grown up to be a bit of a bully at the moment, pushing the others out the way and pecking them. They have always had 2 drinkers and I brought an extra feeder although maybe not in time. Yes she possibly could have eaten some long grass but her crop felt mostly empty the week before and I was trying to give her scrambled egg and herbs to try to get her weight up and her interested in food. 

I am now a bit paranoid and worried about the others although they seem fine and healthy.