srd

Aubiose for hentertainment

Hi everyone!

I'm a long-time reader and first time poster. This forum has been the source of so much information for me and so I finally decided to register.

I have 4 hens and 3 ducks. They have a great big Omlet walk in run on woodchip and have two separate coops - an Eglu Cube for the chickens and a Solway duck house for the ducks - they're indian runners so they need the height. The ducks are disgusting so they're on aubiose, which has been game changing for them but I have a small problem. At any available opportunity, the chickens will go into the duck house and scratch around in the aubiose. Sounds adorable, but I end up with bedding all over the run. They love it so much that they even choose not to free range in the garden and would rather trash the duck house. I'm wondering if I can build something and fill it with aubiose for some hentertainment - I know we're all expecting a flockdown and although I have enough space for all of them I'll be feeling guilty. Plus they seem to love the aubiose more than corn... 

I considered switching the run base to aubiose but the floor will get wet so that doesn't seem like a good idea. Any ideas for a way to let the girls have some fun without destroying the nice, neat duck bed?

chickens.jpeg

Edited by srd
Typo!

I think if you can make the area nice and dry they will love to have the aubiose to play in.

Mine have woodchips and soil in their run and, although totally covered on the roof and one side, the rain still gets in, so aubiose is not an option for mine.

Mine also have a big log, wooden mushrooms, 2 little benches and a jungle gym (think that's what it is called) to play on. 

On 11/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, Luvachicken said:

I think if you can make the area nice and dry they will love to have the aubiose to play in.

I think that's the challenge. I have a tarp over the top but rain will get in so I don't think having a full aubiose base is something I can do. I'm wondering if there's a way I can create a little sheltered area for them to scratch around in the aubiose.

Mine had a log but they completely ignored it xD

I hate to be negative but you'll probably find that, like children, your chooks will end up where they want to be, whatever other lovely alternative you provide - a bit like giving a toddler an huge, expensive present then said youngster preferring to play with the box! However, rather than the aubiose itself might they be after any other 'goodies' hidden in the aubiose (any bits of 'edibles' trodden in etc?) - just a thought! Good luck, anyway 😎.

On 11/10/2021 at 6:01 PM, Luvachicken said:

Forgot to mention mine also have one of these

https://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/poultry-palace-sheltered-nester.html

Good idea, that might work for them. Thanks!

On 11/11/2021 at 8:02 AM, soapdragon said:

I hate to be negative but you'll probably find that, like children, your chooks will end up where they want to be, whatever other lovely alternative you provide - a bit like giving a toddler an huge, expensive present then said youngster preferring to play with the box! However, rather than the aubiose itself might they be after any other 'goodies' hidden in the aubiose (any bits of 'edibles' trodden in etc?) - just a thought! Good luck, anyway 😎.

You're absolutely right, they'll do whatever they want wherever they want! I'll have to keep blocking the duck house, I just want to give them something to play in, because it's not like they have 100sqm of garden to play in or anything fun like that... ;)

On 11/11/2021 at 8:02 AM, soapdragon said:

I hate to be negative but you'll probably find that, like children, your chooks will end up where they want to be, whatever other lovely alternative you provide 

I agree, but at least if you provide them with lots of entertainment, they have the choice as to whether they want to play on it or not.