TMD

Eglu Go Up with 4 run extensions. Too unwieldy

Hi.

I have an Eglu Go Up with 4 run extension sections on. I started off with 2 but added another 2 when the Avian flu restrictions meant keeping my 4 Silkies under cover. They usually free range and, needless to say, are not happy about being kept in the run at all. 

When I try to move the whole setup it is very difficult to move and the 'skirt' that goes around the bottom catches on the grass. The sides frequently collapse too. I"m thinking i'll have to remove 1 of the extensions but I hate to deprive the girls any part of the little space they have. 

Does anyone have any advice or experience on how I can make it more stable. I have to be able to move it by myself.

All suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Tracy

p.s. I did have another large, clear cover over the top near the gate end but the wind is quite ferocious where I live and it caused the mesh panels to bend quite badly so i've had to temporarily put the two little green covers on top until I can get something to cover the whole of the top without gaps.

446237004_Eglu20211229.jpg

I don’t think I have any practical advice about your current set up. 
It’s very good of you keeping them in, but if you keep moving them to a fresh patch of grass, it’s rather defeating the point of limiting contact between your chickens and wild birds.

Personally I think you would be better off creating a more permanent set up with maybe a walk in run on paving. You could still let them free range in summer, but also keep them nice and dry in autumn and winter.

What a total twit I am. :doh: It hadn't occurred to me that moving them around would defeat the point. I'd only thought about covering the roof. Thank you so much for pointing that out.

I do have 2 nine month old kittens that certainly keep wild birds away from our garden but of course there is still the risk. 

I'll have a good think about how I can make a permanent area for them somewhere.  

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 6:20 PM, TMD said:

What a total twit I am. :doh: It hadn't occurred to me that moving them around would defeat the point. I'd only thought about covering the roof. Thank you so much for pointing that out.

I do have 2 nine month old kittens that certainly keep wild birds away from our garden but of course there is still the risk. 

I'll have a good think about how I can make a permanent area for them somewhere.  

I think it will make it much easier in the long run to have a WIR. Much easier to keep your silkies dry.

A good point made by @Cat tails about moving the run around.

Just to add that I see they have a perch and some pecking treats, but how about a few more things to keep them entertained ?

A log maybe or upturned, heavy flower-pots.

I don't have a low rise run but I'm sure you could fit something in.

I wonder if one of these would fit  https://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/poultry-palace-sheltered-nester.html

On 12/29/2021 at 5:58 PM, Luvachicken said:

A good point made by @Cat tails about moving the run around.

Just to add that I see they have a perch and some pecking treats, but how about a few more things to keep them entertained ?

A log maybe or upturned, heavy flower-pots.

I don't have a low rise run but I'm sure you could fit something in.

I wonder if one of these would fit  https://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/poultry-palace-sheltered-nester.html

They do have that exact, green, plastic nester filled with soil and DE which I bought for them to use as a dust bath but refuse to use it. They have a large child’s paddling pool filled with the same soil/DE which they adore (bought after the nester). Actually, I thinks it’s because they like to all dust bathe together but they won’t set foot in the nester for some unknown reason. They won’t use the perch either. 2 of the hens have jumped on and off, so they know what it is but they never perch. Very picky hens!

I will add some other things to entertain them now you’ve mentioned it. I have stood bricks in random places before and they hop on and off but it’s then more of a faff to move everything out before I wheel the whole thing to a new patch of grass. 

I wish I’d made a static coop/run from the start now as this has been an expensive learning curve and I’d done so much research beforehand hoping to provide them with the best life and freedom they could enjoy. 

Really appreciate your comments

Thanks

Unsurprisingly we all make these mistakes. Or rather we all learn as we go and have to find the set up that works for us, our hens and our situation. 
I started with them free ranging the garden and kept fencing off all my plants, until I finally decided that I and the plants were better off fencing off the chickens. 
Went from just a piece of mesh, to a piece of mesh with bird netting over it, to finally building my own run from scaffolding and mesh with a bespoke tarp over it.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, Cat tails said:

Unsurprisingly we all make these mistakes. Or rather we all learn as we go and have to find the set up that works for us, our hens and our situation. 

@Cat tailsis right.

I have made some expensive mistakes too.

When I first had chickens they did have a Cube and the 2 metre run it came with - the front end panel came with a very tiny, chicken sized door, no good for a human.

A few days after I'd got my set-up, Omlet brought out a new end panel - with a much bigger door - so I bought them that.

Then I bought them another metre of run.

The chickens trashed the garden so I bought them a wooden walk-in run  which I could stand up in - I so wish I had this in the first place - and this connects to the original run.

The roof of this wooden run got destroyed by next door's acorns - so I bought them an expensive fibreglass roof.

I've wasted money on gravel too - a soggy mess in the end.

Add the cost of covering the Omlet run with smaller wire so the mice and rats can't get in and I dread to think how much I've spent on stuff altogether.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, Cat tails said:

I started with them free ranging the garden and kept fencing off all my plants, until I finally decided that I and the plants were better off fencing off the chickens. 
Went from just a piece of mesh, to a piece of mesh with bird netting over it, to finally building my own run from scaffolding and mesh with a bespoke tarp over it.

Thank you for helping me feel less foolish. The hens have brought so much joy and I can’t imagine being without them. Big plans now for a walk in run and wood chip flooring!

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 3:42 PM, Luvachicken said:

@Cat tailsis right.

I have made some expensive mistakes too.

When I first had chickens they did have a Cube and the 2 metre run it came with - the front end panel came with a very tiny, chicken sized door, no good for a human.

A few days after I'd got my set-up, Omlet brought out a new end panel - with a much bigger door - so I bought them that.

Then I bought them another metre of run.

The chickens trashed the garden so I bought them a wooden walk-in run  which I could stand up in - I so wish I had this in the first place - and this connects to the original run.

The roof of this wooden run got destroyed by next door's acorns - so I bought them an expensive fibreglass roof.

I've wasted money on gravel too - a soggy mess in the end.

Add the cost of covering the Omlet run with smaller wire so the mice and rats can't get in and I dread to think how much I've spent on stuff altogether.

Thats reassuring to hear. Sounds as if it is a learning curve then! I’ve been looking at the Omlet walk in run and the Flyte so Fancy wooden options. We get such strong winds here I don’t think the Omlet run will be strong enough so I’m leaning towards the wooden one at the moment. I had no idea chicken keeping would be so expensive. I thought the coop was the most expensive thing but now I’m looking at walk in runs I realise that’s not necessary the case.

• Haha 1