emmalou

Chicken and runny poop

For a few weeks now one of my rescue girls has had runny poop. It is creamy, pale yellow, a bit browny at time not thick but liquidy. If she does a normal solid poop is it very small. No crop issues, has been treated by vet with antibiotics to check for infection and then a vitamin to get her gut back to normal. Nothing obvious apart from the runny poop. Her crop is empty in the morning, has been wormed very recently, Not sure what else I can do as the vets is costing me a fortune. The vet did recommend charcoal which I added to some warm water and layers. She also did a count and checked her poop and no sign of anything like cocci. Seemed to help briefly. Never sure when this is urine or diarrhea. TIA 

Edited by emmalou

Could simply be poor gut flora @Emmalou. They will all benefit from dose of Avipro Avian probiotic anyway. Even better Beryls tonic, which is extremely effective but expensive, smelly and you need to be in to receive the frozen package. Here we give ours some rearer pellets which contain probiotics. You know when they have a healthy gut because they will produce cecal poos, which are a brown paste containing digestive enzymes. When we received our rescues (broilers at 16 weeks) they all had terrible poos as you describe, but two weeks later with the probiotics they were all fine.

No idea about Activia. But perhaps you realise what the problem is. Chickens are built to free range and there they get the insects they need, because they will take on the gut flora of their prey. Keep them in a run and that's where the problems start. Chickens are built to free range and anything else needs management: diet, predator control etc.

On 3/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, emmalou said:

Thankyou for the info. I cannot get either of these but have activia….is this any good? The vet also gave me a vitamin which helps restore things post antibiotics. I am thinking it is this.

Do you mean Activia the yoghurt for people?

It’s not a good idea to feed chickens dairy products of any kind, as they can’t digest lactose and it might make the problem even worse.

Sounds like what the vet gave you is a probiotic, because antibiotics wreck the gut flora which then need restoring. Don't think the free ranging is the problem, unless she is eating something that doesn't agree with her and it's going to be very difficult to find out what, if anything, that is? One thing here that I know does badly affect chickens digestion is lizards. We've had a few eat them and be rather ill for a while afterwards.

Yes maybe. She is on her own now bless her so keeping her in a run is difficult as we want her to be happy and aocial with us as I am sure you understand. I think there is probably more going on than we can make out. She won’t eat her layers now and whilst she has something in her crop I can see her weight dropping off. I think another visit to the vets is on the cards later today. Thanks for your help.