Helly Welly

Jamie Oliver crusades for chickens!!

What a "Ooops, word censored!"le cause. I am completely happy with they're quest to ban battery hens. I cant think of three more influencial people to do this.

Although... i did just read that hugh is planning to create his own battery farm!!! I was gobsmacked that he thought this was a good idea. I fully understand that the battery farmers are never going to support this but they need to be realistic that people are starting to care about the food they buy a lot more and this is going to spiral out of their control.

I cant see why making a few more hens suffer for scaring the nation into buying free range or even organic poultry and eggs is a good idea. Why dont we feed up some kids on tv and make them seriously obese to scare the neglectful mothers whoo fill thier kids with junk to show them how bad it is... or gas a few more innocent people to show how horrific the second world war was.

An eye for an eye turns the whole world blind.

It's a bad example and its hypocritical

what do you think???

maggie in l'head

Hugh is going to be setting up a boiler unit actually. There are a lot of people out there who will be buying broiler chicken meat and unaware of how it was 'grown'. It's uncomfortable viewing ( we watch or we don't) but I do agree that this is a effective way to help the consumer to make an informed choice. If you know about broiler chicken growth and production and you understand the process of producing a battery egg,we can all make that informed choice.

We assume that if the facts are out there the majority will choose the welfare of the animal or bird and the quality, over cheap meat and eggs. Also this is a perfect way to educate the consumer who isn't buying cheap food but buys a ready meal or a jar of mayo at premium price but is still supporting these methods of production.

Just my view but it's fantastic it's already getting a debate going.

BBx :)

I am with Buffie on this one.

People are so blinkered as to where their food comes from & how it was raised,that the broiler unit idea is,in my opinion, inspired.

When people acutally see for themselves how these places work,they will be able to make a more informed choice.

I don't think many broiler units would allow filming,so this is the only way it could be shown first hand.

Hugh will do am amazing job in setting this up & showing the horrific effects these poor animals suffer in being raised this way, & I am certain that some peoples eating habits will change because of that.

I do understand that it will be shocking and a wake up call for the public but its a seriously in humane way of doing this. Pics and videos that i have seen on the web are shocking enough.

My we are a nation of sick individuals that we have to see the blood and guts before we'll be swayed.

I hope it works and i will watch and i support this move but i cant say i think i would want a broiler house on my conscience!