Helly Welly

Jamie Oliver crusades for chickens!!

According to Teletext this morning, Jamie's going to do a programme highlighting the appaling realities of industrial chicken production. It will end with a gala dinner which shows the chickens fate form start to plate. I read that he was crying over chickens which were slaughtered after just 39 days.

Its great that its Jamie doing this programme as maybe more people will watch it. Unfortunately, those people who buy cheap chicken probably won't watch. Sometimes i think that some programmes should be compulsory viewing!

Helly Welly wrote:

Its great that its Jamie doing this programme as maybe more people will watch it. Unfortunately, those people who buy cheap chicken probably won't watch. Sometimes i think that some programmes should be compulsory viewing!

I doubt that I will watch it, scenes of cruelty to livestock and chickens

upset me too much these days. :cry::cry: I do hope lots of cheap chicken buyers watch it because of Jamie and that he converts them :)

Tessa

Helly Welly wrote:

I doubt that I will watch it, scenes of cruelty to livestock and chickens

upset me too much these days. :cry::cry: I do hope lots of cheap chicken buyers watch it because of Jamie and that he converts them :)

Tessa

I am with you on this one Tessa.

I cannot bear to see cruelty to animals,especially hens,so I won't watch.

The Hugh FW one sounds really good too, & I see they are BOTH starting in January :wink:

I am going to get several boxes of Kleenex and do my best to watch, I'm already pretty clued up about broiler chickens etc but I'm interested to see how they deal with the subject in their programme.

I hope, because Jamie and HFW are involved, that it will get plenty of viewers.

that link looks really good, I'll be sure to watch and to encourage everyone I know to watch too. I'm off to school with Hermione our Calder Ranger at 2pm, it's pet week, little do the teachers know that I'm going to be telling all the children to go home, look at their eggs and see what number is printed on them and that they're to ask their mummys why not if their eggs haven't got ones or twos on them!!

Mrs B

(get 'em while they're young I reckon!!)

My daughter hates Jamie and blames him for taking all the yummy food out of her school, but I think the guy has gained success and is using it wisely to highlight issues which would otherwise be ingnored.

Most of the time he must be preaching to the converted but it must get the message to a wider audience too and it certainly makes some people in authority sit up and take notice.

All we can do is all do our bit and hope for a better future.

I also admire Hugh but I am so jealous of his lifestyle.

Rosie adores Jamie and will be sure to watch it. Phil says that there is an article in the Independent today about it....here you go:

Oliver turns up the heat on battery-farmed chickens

By Ciar Byrne, Arts and Media Correspondent

Published: 22 November 2007 After tackling sub-standard school dinners, now Jamie Oliver is preparing to take on battery-farmed chickens.

As part of a Channel 4 season devoted to changing the nation's eating habits, Oliver, together with fellow television chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, will reveal to viewers the realities of industrial chicken production.

Oliver, 32, has already held meetings on the subject with Sainsbury's, the supermarket with which he has an advertising contract.

In Jamie's Fowl Dinners, a one-off special, Oliver hosts a gala dinner with chicken on the menu, in which he will "graphically demonstrate" the chicken rearing process. Guests at the dinner will include celebrities, food producers, supermarkets and ordinary people.

In Hugh's Chicken Run, a show broadcast across three nights, Fearnley-Whittingstall sets up his own intensive farm to show what happens to chickens that are sold for less than the price of a pint of beer. In the series, the chef, who made his name cooking with home-grown and locally produced ingredients, challenges supermarkets and takeaways to switch to free-range chicken, starting with Tesco in his town, Axminster. The River Cottage star was reduced to tears during filming by the appalling conditions in which chickens are reared.

Fearnley-Whittingstall said: "Until the supermarkets stop devaluing chicken by selling it at discount prices, British farmers won't be able to afford to produce to a higher welfare standard. If consumers are better informed about how intensive chickens are farmed, they may be prepared to pay more."

Speaking about Oliver's show, Andrew Mackenzie, the head of factual entertainment at Channel 4 said: "Jamie's simple message, in quite an overt way, will be, 'If you know what happens to a chicken before arriving on your plate, would you change the way you think about chicken. Would you still eat it?'

"Our standards are not as good as some in Europe. Even people who buy free-range chickens may not be aware that every time they eat cake, the eggs aren't likely to be free range, so they are essentially endorsing the battery hen."

Running for two weeks in January, Channel 4's Food Season will also include Cook-a-Long-a-Gordon, a live, hour-long show in which Gordon Ramsay invites viewers to cook with him. They will be able to download ingredient details before transmission so they can follow his instructions in real time. Ramsay's aim is to prove that everyone can prepare a quick but nourishing home-cooked meal. In Eat Yourself To Death, the anatomist Gunther von Hagens will conduct a human dissection to demonstrate the effects of a poor diet and obesity on the body. Another show, The Diet That Time Forgot takes four fast-food lovers to north Pakistan to sample one of the healthiest diets known, that of the Shimshal people.

Hurrah! Like him or loathe him (and I do both in equal measures!) Jamie has raised public awareness about food. Remember that programme when he showed the kids what REALLY goes into chicken nuggets, and the disgust on their faces!

This whole country needs to wake up to what food really costs, how it is produced, and what we are eating, and all these programmes sound really good for that.

I speak as someone who is several pounds north of their ideal weight and doesn't exercise enough, but I am more and more concerned about what I'm putting into my body. If I can brace myself to watch the Gunther von Hagens one, maybe it will shock me into finally doing something! :shock:

Thanks for the post, Claret, that backs up the article I read in the Metro this morning.

I will be watching and I hope my OH will watch it as well.

I was given a truely horrible job at work earlier in the week :( I had to tray up over 100 chicken portions, brush with olive oil and rub in Paprika :( they were not happy chicken portions :(:twisted: I felt sick :(

A while ago I had to crack 400 eggs and put them in the freezer in batches of 20. They were battery hen eggs :twisted::( The really sad thing about the frozen eggs was that they were never used and I ended up throwing them all away :twisted::(

that link looks really good, I'll be sure to watch and to encourage everyone I know to watch too. I'm off to school with Hermione our Calder Ranger at 2pm, it's pet week, little do the teachers know that I'm going to be telling all the children to go home, look at their eggs and see what number is printed on them and that they're to ask their mummys why not if their eggs haven't got ones or twos on them!!

Mrs B

What do the numbers mean then ? :oops::oops:

I had only ever bought free range before getting chickens and didn't even think to look at what was printed.

I don't know if I'll be able to watch - or what I would gain by doing so. I know how awful it is and avoid contributing to this misery where I can. I educate young people about the cruelty and try and get them to pass the message on to their parents.

I hope it acts as a wake up call to a lot of people and its brilliant that such high profile people are getting behind it. But I don't see the need for me to see animal cruelty - but great if it stops a few more people buying battery and cheap chickens.

As for Jamie Oliver - I liked him a lot better before he took away the option of chips for lunch! Oh and my favourite Vegtable Wellington!

Mrs B

What do the numbers mean then ? :oops::oops:

I had only ever bought free range before getting chickens and didn't even think to look at what was printed.

The numbers relate to the country where the eggs were produced - but I can't remember the exact format.