buffie

Eglu 2...Lucky old Buffster

Hey it's all sorted and Thanks to Johannes and Will I am getting eglu no 2 on my birthday!! :D:D Also allowed to see top secret.....Sorry can't say anymore :D:wink:

We will go and collect it and Michael will set up his run, square, and the bantam palace will be in place before we go away. I have to stop adding to my babies after the 2 bantam pals arrive or Mikey will leave home I think!! :shock:

40's really looking good! :wink::D

BBx

Thanks Kate :D This birthday is getting abit expensive but I have just said in the other hen intro thread that I could be spending £50.00 at the gym a month and would rather walk for free and keep the girls in a nice house. My mum and dad are looking forward to looking after the brood and mum says she give Lottie ots of cuddles while we are away. :D

Kate when I introduce 2 bantams to Lottie as she is submissive I assume this will be easier, also the bantams will be more docile? Please say yes! :?

BBx

I don't know, Jayne :? . I've not had any experience with bantams but things like Pekins are supposed to be friendly and gentle so maybe bantams would all get on a lot better together. Plus the other thing which might help is if you could move all three into the new Eglu together so it doesn't actually "belong" to any one in particular so they would just be sorting out the pecking order naturally as any hens put together would rather than saying "get out of my house!"?? Perhaps hens don't think that way but it might be a factor? Who knows!!

Hopefully you'll have a less stressful time putting two new hens with with one if the new two haven't already been living together and haven't sorted out their pecking order.

Re- expense! To hell with that, you're only 40 once :wink: ! Make it count!!

Thanks everyone and thanks Clare, spoke to Pearl. She has told me it wouldn't have worked with Lottie. 1 bantam wouldn't be allowed to feed and the pecking would not die down until she was hurt badly and...., she wouldn't be allowed to eat and would give up :cry:

Glad I'm doing it this way and glad I gave up now on intro's :D I am going to see her and get 2 girls and introduce all 3 to the eglu at once on thursday night and she says they will be fine as all new and no pecking order. Checked with parents who are happy :D

Will let you know how it goes, had better pop something on the intro thread too. :wink:

BBx

Ahhh, so how is it all going to be arranged then, are the 3 little uns going to be in one Eglu? (I like to get things straight in my head)

Are you getting some pekins then? they are really lovely and came scuttling up to me when I went in the gate :D Awww, I want to come with you now...

Pearl is great and has tons of knowledge - say hello to her for me - her place is easy to shoot past, but you come off the M40 onto the A34, take the exit on the left for Weston on the Green. You go over the flyover and the entrance to her place is behind a metal farm gate immediately on the right as you exit the bridge (it looks like a little layby). Take your wellies!

Sarah it's on wednesday, it's all getting exciting now, I want a Buff...yes clare well done and could I have 4 girls all together I wonder????

Post me ideas as I never wanted bantams but have that bug now!! Lottie just changed my mind so I will have my 2 groups of girls and each will have their own winning characters. I expect Harrie and Charlie will be the most bossy like....ME! :oops::lol::lol::lol:

BBxx

I'm not really clear on what your planning Buffie, but I would put all the banties together in one Eglu. They don't mix well with big hens as they tend to get picked on.

You will fall in love with the pekins she's got. They are about a month away from laying I reckon and totally adorable :D Dolly isn't a full sized hen, but a bit bigger than my banties and Pearl didn't htink that there would be a problem with integrating her, and said that I could take her back if there was (not that i could do that s she is lovely).

let me know what you are doing and how you get on. You will be there longer than you expect :roll:

Buffie - many congratulations on your new girls - how wonderful. I am soooo looking forward to seeing the photos

I have decided to get some myself in the summer - OH will not mind once they are here.

Well he might a bit. But bantams look such characters. I was going to get some first when I got my Eglu but was told by a breeder that they were very flighty. I mentioned clipping their wings and she said that she did not do that as they must be able to escape. So that put me off! But all I have read since seems to differ. And it is only some breeds that are flighty.

So I will be really interested to see how your new girls develop

Have a great birthday and holiday