FudgeNessa

Flystrike

OK, so it's getting to that time of year to think about this horrible problem "Flystrike". I am looking for fine netting to put over the run and the front of the hutch but am having problems. Does anyone know of any DIY/garden stores etc that sell fine netting. Just spent 10 minutes getting rid of horrible fly in the run!!! and cleaning up messy poo's, which he was obviously attracted to.

Thank you.

And although it can be expensive (not as expensive as vets bills to cure flystrike - I speak from experience!) try putting a few drops of lavender oil around the hutch (I put it on the newspaper which lines the litter tray and the eglu). Flies really don't like the smell at all. I've also heard that a few drops of vanilla diluted with water and sprayed around can also work but I haven't tried it out.

OK, so it's getting to that time of year to think about this horrible problem "Flystrike". I am looking for fine netting to put over the run and the front of the hutch but am having problems. Does anyone know of any DIY/garden stores etc that sell fine netting. Just spent 10 minutes getting rid of horrible fly in the run!!! and cleaning up messy poo's, which he was obviously attracted to.

Thank you.

When you say messy poo's are they sloppy?

Thank you.

When you say messy poo's are they sloppy?

No not really sloppy just soft, and when they sat on and squided on, it gets messy. So I make sure run is clean all day.

Have found some fab netting this morning, it is meant for shading for green houses (Focus Do it All), but I think will really do the trick, staple gun out later with the help of my dad and it will be sorted. It will also give them same extra shading in their run, even though they have cover I can put over, this is more natural. May be a will try the lavender too though

I HATE FLYSTRIKE!!! Twitcher i miss you!xxxx For Smokey and the guineas ive bought a special flysrike spray. i dont think it stops it all together it just prevents it from happening a bit! i think you can buy it from lots of pet shops and you just spray it on their body every day or so i think! (ginger rabbit)(blackrabbit)

I HATE FLYSTRIKE!!! Twitcher i miss you!xxxx For Smokey and the guineas ive bought a special flysrike spray. i dont think it stops it all together it just prevents it from happening a bit! i think you can buy it from lots of pet shops and you just spray it on their body every day or so i think! (ginger rabbit)(blackrabbit)

Sorry to hear about Twitcher :(

I use something similar. I think it was called Fly-Guard or something like that :?: You spray it on their bottom at the beginning of summer/ early spring and it keeps flies at bay. One of the ones that I used only needed one application, but the other one that I used needed an application every 4-6 weeks or so.

This Insect mesh looks good, I've order some for my buns run. Not sure how I'm going to fix it to the run yet. Whether to staple it and have it up all year round, or try to temporary fix if with hooks or velcro and take it done in the winter. :think:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Window-Screens-UK-Insect-Mesh/dp/B001VCJTZS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302419762&sr=8-2

Last year I used this one. In previous years my vet has sold me a similar product but last year we forgot to ask and this one was just as good (and a lot less expensive!).

Thanks for posting this link LCL, I used Flyguard on my buns last year, the vet told me that it doesn't repel the flies but stops any eggs they lay hatching. I've already bought one lot ready for this year, £20 for one application! So might get the Pets at home one in future. :)

Successfully staple gunned netting round run this morning, feel much better now. Going to get Fly Guard too from Pets at Home, I had looked at it previously. Their hutch is going outside for the summer in the week and will staple rest of netting to that then. Because the netting is green too it is acting as a good shade for their run. Much happier now :D:D

Thanks for posting this link LCL, I used Flyguard on my buns last year, the vet told me that it doesn't repel the flies but stops any eggs they lay hatching. I've already bought one lot ready for this year, £20 for one application! So might get the Pets at home one in future. :)

You're welcome :) .

What you said about it stopping the flies laying their eggs is correct. Just out of intrest, where did you get your £20 batch of it? The one my vet used to sell me was green and it had a cartoon picture of a rabbit on the front, is it the same one? I can't remember what it was called :?: . I think the other one is much better value for money, not only is it cheaper but you also get 5 applications in one bottle. You have to re-apply it every 3 months, though. I think the most important thing is to check your bunny every evening , regardless of whether or not you use Fly-Guard. You can never be too careful.

Also, just to say that it's not made by PAH, I just searched it on Google and it was the first link that came up. I'm sure that most pet shops will sell some, especially at this time of year :D

Also, just wanted to share a pic I took a couple of years ago of Cookie, with Fly-Guard freshly applied. Suffice to say, she was NOT happy about being held on her back and covered in it! :notalk:

4920387322_dc9411ca3e.jpg

Hi LCL

The one I have from the vet is called Rear Guard same as the one in the link below. I'm sure my vet (Medivet) charged me £20, but it was in a bill for myxi & VHD jabs so I may be mistaken, total bill was getting on for £70. It has a sponge applicator (rather like the cream shoe polish applicators).It is only enough for 1 application for 1 bun and is meant to last 10 weeks, so I will need to apply again mid June. I had the devils own job applying it as you have to squeeze and press and hold the bunny still all at the same time. I was nicely covered in it too,so there ain't no flies on me this summer then!! :lol:

http://www.petprescription.co.uk/products/rearguard%2025mls/?gclid=COzdmLb6kagCFQoY4QodjygLDA

Your bunny looks gorgeous, and only a tad bit cross, :lol:

Yes, that's the one that the vet used to sell us. I just couldn't remember the name.

It's not fun trying to apply it, is it!? We usually end up having to lie our bunnies upside down on a cushion. Someone then tries to hold the wriggling rabbit still while someone else has the job of putting it on them.

And then there's the job of trying to stop them licking it off afterwards... :roll:

Try Rearguard, or one of the other similar products, which you spray on the bunny to prevent flystrike. I think it stops fly eggs developing into maggots. As I recall, one spraying lasts for the summer, but it might be that you have to reapply after a few weeks. Good luck.

I use something similar. I think it was called Fly-Guard or something like that :?: You spray it on their bottom at the beginning of summer/ early spring and it keeps flies at bay. One of the ones that I used only needed one application, but the other one that I used needed an application every 4-6 weeks or so.

Yes, it is called Fly Guard, it contains ivermectin and gives you about 3 months protection. The great thing is that you don't need a prescription like you do with Rearguard.