fluffhy

Eglu Go Up ladder, bantams keep slipping / not climbing up properly / noisy - help please!!

Hi everyone!

I could really do with some help.

I recently obtained a couple of Sussex bantams (none have laid yet), and have an Eglu Go Up (2m run). Problem is, it looks like they find the ladder tricky to use in the evenings. Always slipping, landing on the poles instead of the actual rungs, and flapping up. They seem to think it a huge challenge, make lots of noise, and often have failed attempts before going up every night. Watching them dash around the run and loudly scheme on how to fly up is stressing me out. It's been five evenings!

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any tips about how to make the ladder more grippable? Will they get used to it? Any advice would be amazing because I think their difficulty with the ladder is making them even noisier in the evening. I really don't want to get complaints and have to get rid of them, the idea is upsetting me already 😭😭😭

Edited by fluffhy

Omlet sells grips now, that you click on the steps.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/chicken_keeping_spares/25280/ladder_grips_-_eglu_go_up/

What also works well is a perch half way up the ladder like @Luvachickensays. Mine is just a spare bit of wood I stuck through the run wire, like the expensive Omlet perches, but than for free. Mine hardly use the ladder but just their perch to hop up.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:02 PM, Luvachicken said:

You could always try a flowerpot or a breeze block at the bottom of the ladder to help them get up the first part.

We made a wooden ladder that went over the top of the original ladder, with smaller spaces in-between and nowhere to fall through  - admittedly, I have a Cube but a ladder is a ladder.

Ooh I honestly might look into something wooden if they still fail to adjust to this ladder. And that's a great tip, would you recommend putting the flowerpot/breeze block directly under the ladder or just in front of it?

Thank you!

On 9/12/2022 at 5:57 AM, Cat tails said:

Omlet sells grips now, that you click on the steps.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/chicken_keeping_spares/25280/ladder_grips_-_eglu_go_up/

What also works well is a perch half way up the ladder like @Luvachickensays. Mine is just a spare bit of wood I stuck through the run wire, like the expensive Omlet perches, but than for free. Mine hardly use the ladder but just their perch to hop up.

That sounds like a really quick way to solve the problem, thank you!

Re: grips - that's what I currently have, and it's supposed to help, which makes me wonder why they struggle still 😅

Edited by fluffhy

On 9/13/2022 at 8:59 AM, chooksRCute said:

I’ve always removed the ladder & just use one or two staggered logs, like stepping stones. No matter the breed, they all manage to jump/flutter from the top of one to the other & into the coop

That's such a good idea - I think it might also create more space in the run, too ❤️

On 9/13/2022 at 1:11 PM, Chicken_Cottage said:

I had to replace one ladder with a ramp as a very young silkie could not get the hang of the ladder on a cube Mk2. She still uses it from the bottom whilst the others jump up towards the top. 

She is laying now so it's been a while.

Bless her heart. Do you have any pictures you could share of this ramp, please?

On 9/17/2022 at 8:18 PM, mullethunter said:

I have a perch across at door height in front of the house, and a couple of steps at the bottom of the ladder. Most of mine ignore the ladder altogether and just fly up to the perch, but a couple of the older ones use the steps.

Sounds great but with silkies and the difficulty they have with flight I'm not sure that would help, but worth a thought for the next group I'm buying this week....

On 9/17/2022 at 4:49 PM, Chicken_Cottage said:

I based the ramp on those that come with wooden coops, I also tried to remove it and see if they could use the ladder, but after some hesitation coming out there was a lot of panic when one wanted to lay.

20220917_164540.jpg

This is such a smart idea. Thank you for sharing!

On 9/17/2022 at 8:18 PM, mullethunter said:

I have a perch across at door height in front of the house, and a couple of steps at the bottom of the ladder. Most of mine ignore the ladder altogether and just fly up to the perch, but a couple of the older ones use the steps.

Ooh. A perch is a great idea and I'm definitely going to consider that if I ever have to use the eglu for a new batch of chickens. Fortunately, now that some time has passed, my lot are now happy with just flying up evening. I don't think I've seen a single one walk up the entire way 😭