Cinnamon

Sand ???

A quick question.

My new hen pen is built where our above ground pool used to be,so there is a layer of very compacted orange sand under the topsoil.

Knowing hens & knowing that anything in the ground,however compacted it is won't stay that way long,will it do them any harm?

I envisage it making the soil nice & dry & sandy over time,but want to check that it can't harm them (not that there is much hope of digging it up,& the pen is finished now :roll: )

If it's been down for any length of time, i would imagine that the rain would have washed anything nasty out of it. We inherited an ancient bag of builders sand when we moved into our previous house, and it lay in the garden, like a special feature the whole 9 years we lived there, and the girlies took great pleasure it ripping it open, and using it for a dustbath, as it was under a hedge. And yes, we left it there when we moved out.... :oops:

We inherited an ancient bag of builders sand when we moved into our previous house, and it lay in the garden, like a special feature the whole 9 years we lived there, and the girlies took great pleasure it ripping it open, and using it for a dustbath, as it was under a hedge. And yes, we left it there when we moved out.... :oops:

you know what I love about this forum? It makes me feel so much better to know there are other people like me out there! :lol::lol::lol:

The site I used for my run had originally had the shed on it and there was a thick layer of builders sand underneath the flags, my chickens have been in the run for 2 years now and like you say they have dug it over, they dust bathe in it with no ill effects............Infact it has kept the soil nice and dry and in the wet weather the hens prefer to be in the run having lovely baths in a mixture of builders sand and dry soil.