KC

birds of prey

Hi everyone,

do hawks and other birds of prey pose a threat to chickens? There are one or two reasonable sized hawks in our part of Sheffield. I'm wondering if I can leave my 2 chickens free ranging with minimal supervision or whether they'll need a human scarecrow!

Any ideas?

:?:

No - almost all birds of prey are harmless to chickens unless the chickens are already dead (they're carrion eaters). The one exception is the eagle owl, which is now roving in areas of Scotland and northern England thanks to a very successful captive breeding programme. However, they're still very rare and unlikely to attack hens in your back garden.

Although the way mine run for cover every time a pigeon flies over, you'd think that golden eagles lurked round every corner. I was amused to see Bob run at one that dared to land in HER garden though.

There are eagles flying over my garden :!: I think they are aeroplanes but my chooks assure me they are eagles :lol:

I have noticed a kestrel/hawk around my house for the past few days, & it has been flying really low & perching near the house.

Then today I notice it perch on my neighbours fence & he walked up to it.It flew away when he was real close,so we reckon its a tame one that has escaped.

He is very,very beautiful but its a bit disconcerting having a bird of prey so obviously used to humans, & we are not sure whom we should contact about his...RSPB or the like?

Someone must be missing him,but who do we contact to find out who lost him?

If you have any experience with "flying" birds of prey, you could try getting him to fly to your hand (if you don't have the right kit, don't risk it - you'll lose a finger or an eye!). If he hangs around humans, he's almost certainly a captive-bred or hand-reared one, in which case someone will be missing him. Talk to your RSPCA people - they will keep all reports of missing birds. He may have escaped from a demonstration, or had an inept owner try to fly him when he was not hungry (they just head for the hills when that happens!). The good thing is that to keep birds of prey you must be registered, so if he belongs to someone, they'll know who he is. Also check for any leather straps or remnants of straps attached to his feet or, if you can get close enough, see whether he's been ringed (small metal ring around one foot). That'll give the RSPCA more to go on.

If you're not sure which species he is, I'll try to post a link for photos of hawks. We're getting some strange visitors at the moment because of the unseasonably cold weather.

My friend recently rescued a small young chicken from a bird of prey, apparently her car scared it into dropping the chicken. It was in the countryside in Wales and the chicken is recovering well.

I have small hope of adopting her (hopefully not him :shock: ) if 1) OH agrees and 2) she could integrate safely :(