Guest Dilly

Here at last - Japanese Quail

Oh the excitement is building here. The incubator should be coming on Sunday. I have ordered 24 eggs 'on standby' - which will be collected and posted to me the same day - from a highly respected poultry breeder of may years standing :lol: who has a proven record of high fertility eggs.

I have ordered another aviary the same as the one I have got - but from a different supplier and bagged myself a bargain too.

I will have to assemble it - but after seeing this one built it will be a doddle I :think:

So - with a bit of luck I should have baby quail - about 2 weeks old by the time that Claret visits in March.

Off out up the lottie now - the frost will be melting soon and the sun has come out.

Oh Happy Days

P.S.

I seem to have forgotten to tell some one :roll: So please keep my secret

My motto for the year is - 'Love me - Love my pets' and after all it could be worse - I could have taken a shine to Great Danes

:D

IS the supplier up north and name begin with D because if it is the fertility rate is brilliant. I have 21 fertile out of 24 from him though sadly only have 17 still living. Very exciting my borrowed incubator was promised to me sometime int he next week but I have to wait til the quail chicks are 3 weeks old so I can use the brooder again.

I can't believe you havent told him!- thats hilarious

IS the supplier up north and name begin with D because if it is the fertility rate is brilliant. I have 21 fertile out of 24 from him though sadly only have 17 still living. Very exciting my borrowed incubator was promised to me sometime int he next week but I have to wait til the quail chicks are 3 weeks old so I can use the brooder again.

I can't believe you havent told him!- thats hilarious

Yes - it's the king 'D' - what he doesn't know about poultry isn't worth knowing - he's great.

Have you blamed it on me Dilly? :wink: Best warn me first then :lol::lol:

No - not blamed you Claret - but it's not a bad idea though.

My aviary which I only have five quail in - is big enough for 15+ :roll:

So I might be hatching quite a bit this year if all goes well. I can't add any to the five though - so may rehouse them in a mini aviary if I hatch out more!

They really are the most fascinating little things - I have added more bits and pieces to their aviary (no photos yet)

I can see my becoming hooked.

:wink:

I now have 24 eggs in an auto turn incubator on a table as I type.

:D

They should hatch in 17/18 days.

See my blog - I will be keeping it updated on their progress.

http://kooringa.com

My next 'job' is to build a broody home for them - should be fun - I do have an idea for that though :?