Guest Dilly

Here at last - Japanese Quail

http://kooringa.com/?p=5911

Here is the link to my website where you can see my new arrivals.

They are not too batty - as in running around like demented headless chickens and jumping five feet in the air!

I had a choice of lots and lots of quail - but decided on these as they were so docile.

They are bit daft though - as I have been out in the dark to put them up into their penthouse suite. Full of fluffy Aubiose - and what do they do? Run back down the ramp like lemmings and snuggle up all together.

I guess that is what they do in the wild.

Mine are not tiny - but one of the largest of the quail breeds - nice and cuddly and plump :lol:

Claret kindly loaned me her book last year and I read it from cover to cover and then thought about it for a year - before deciding to get them.

Thanks Martin - but there were lots to choose from in different aviaries and I was assure that they were definitely Japanese

The males were all larger than the one I chose and the same colouring dark - although they did have some lighter males. I chose the darkest so that I could distinguish him easily.

The company is very reputable and has lots of aviaries off all sorts of birds, finches, parrots - exotics

I will give them a call in the morning.

If they do turn out to be Italian - then I am not bothered anyway. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks Bronze - I do trust the 'experts'

Martin if you look at this link

http://images.google.co.uk/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=Japanese+Quail&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

It shows lots of colours of Japanese quail and my girls are the paler stripey ones - and the male is the dark one. (Top row and bottom left corner pale ones - with a lovely creamy gold chest.

I have a Japanese daughter in law -and when she is back from Japan I will get her to talk to them to see if they understand her :D:D:D:D:D

Not taking the mickey Martin - just jesting dear. Thanks for your input xx

Thank you snowy - did I 'see' you on PP ?

My husband isn't into chickens or quail - but you would never guess with the chickens - he makes more of a fuss of them than I do. Inasmuch as he loves playing the Pied Piper when he goes out into the garden and is forever giving me detailed accounts of who did what and whom is where :D:D

My quail are so easy to handle - and not as flighty as I had thought they would be.

The aviary needs to be sited on slabs to prevent the usual vermin getting in or you need to use wire netting underneath. Mine are on slabs which were already there.

Let me know how you get on

Dilly I was told by a very good source (my egg supplier- Martin knows who) and several other people as well that
Japanese and Italians are the same species, the only thing different is the colour
so I wouldn't start worrying.

Yes they originate from the same species, and there are more differences than just the colour, the japanese species have a tendency to be more canabalistic and the Italians are also smaller than the Japanese when fully grown. :wink:

Love the quail! I'm extremely jealouse :twisted::mrgreen:

What are you planing to do with them? Breed them? Eat them? Or keep them as layers/pets?

We are planing to keep quail this year Californias & Italian (obviously in different pens).

Where did you get the house from? I saw one like that but have forgotten the website :oops:.

xx

Sounds like a good plan.

I keep away from Californians as their egg laying season is very restricted!

Martin

Aaaah but if you provide extra lighting and keep tempratures over 60 degrees then they can lay up to 200 eggs per year :shock: All you would need is a heat lamp :think: I did some re-search and apparently they only lay from April-May. But there has been Californian quail eggs on eBay since January. I will email them later on and ask how they do it.....I may be gone some time.....

xx

Dilly I was told by a very good source (my egg supplier- Martin knows who) and several other people as well that
Japanese and Italians are the same species, the only thing different is the colour
so I wouldn't start worrying.

Yes they originate from the same species, and there are more differences than just the colour, the japanese species have a tendency to be more canabalistic and the Italians are also smaller than the Japanese when fully grown. :wink:

It makes me dispair that you still insist your opinion is fact Martin - Japs & Italians DONT originate from the same species - the ARE the same species, just different plumage colour.

I have 2 other issues with your statement -

Firstly,I don't know how you've been keeping your quail, but in the year I've breeding Japs in most colour mutations I've never come across any canabalism - If kept in the correct enviorment theres no need for this sort of problems to arise - have you actually witnessed these canabalistic tendancies or are you simply spouting second/third hand lore of the internet???

Secondly - the size difference comment - There should be no size difference between Normal coloured Japs & Golden Japs - Japs of all colours come in 3 sizes - mini 4-5 oz, standard 8-9oz & jumbo/giant 12-16oz. If you find your quail arent reaching these sort of weights then check your egg supplier/breeder - small birds are usually a sign of intensive inbreeding & poor living conditions.

Hope this helped to clear up some of the quail myths that are flying about :)

Suz

ooh Dilly they look very cute - thought you'd been quiet lately! :wink:

Are you just hoping for eggs, are you going to breed them or, um, any other purpose? I love the quail penthouse too.

I look forward to reading about their exploits, they surely can't be as entertaining as your bantams but I'm sure there will be some conversation from them!