Fenris

Duck confirmation

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could confirm that the duck in this picture is a Khaki Campbell Female.

daisyduck011.jpg

She's sort of adopted us so I'm just trying to find out what she is (is she a she) and the best methods of taking care of it. thanks.

Fenris

Welcome to the forum :D.

I don't think she is a campbell, she looks more like a Mallard to me :? but it's difficult to tell from the picture. How big is she?

I think she is a she, doesn't have any male markings from what I can see. Does she have a curly tail? If it has a curl, it's male, if not, female.

Best way to look after her- make sure she has drinking water, and a bucket (or if you have a old children's plastic paddling pool) to wash her eyes in. If you could get some duck or chicken layers pellets for her (from feed livestock feed stores), some mixed poultry grit for grinding down her food and as calcium and a place for her to sleep, like a poultry house with straw to keep her warm.

If your thinking of keeping her, I would get her a friend, she won't do well on her own, as they are very sociable.

How did you get her? Did she fly in your garden or something?

xx

Looking at her wings, I think they are clipped. She hasnt attempted to fly at all.

She wandered into our store room in work. We didnt know whether she was wild or not so we took her to the river (right next to us) and see if she'd find her way home.

Ten minutes later she was back, and again and again. We've asked around the one or two houses and several farms within a mile or so of us and no-one is missing a duck.

She's now wandering around a pen my father has built for her in our garden and he's even built her a hut.

daisyduck016-1.jpg

We've got straw for her and a food pellets (duck and swan food) plus she's eating any bread that goes her way she also has a caserole dish for water for the moment. She is about a foot long roughly, not measured her acurately.

Thanks for the advice too. My parents are considering keeping her and we already knew that if we do we need to get her company soon. Otherwise we'd be looking for a home for her.

Again thanks for the advice, I'll be staying on the forum as I like it and I am very new to ducks and caring for them. Oh yeah and my sister has named her Daisy (disney fan)

Fenris