rusky123

Bali duck keeps falling over

I had my dream Birthday present at Christmas. :D A pair of ducks. A few weeks ago my Viszla dog attacked them, even though we have a fenced enclosure, Vera was pretty poorly, but after an op she has recovered well, but poor old Jack seems to have suffered more. He has started to fall over when he gets flustered. His leg just seems to give from under him. Some nights he cannot get up the ramp to the duck house. He is such a sweetie it upsets me to see him falling over all the time. He is eating well and looks good and healthy. I have seen mentioned splayed leg, what is this please. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you, Moyna :)

Hi

Sorry to hear about your ducks I hope they both recover quickly.

Splayed leg is somthing ducklings get, If they are kept on a slippery surface like newspaper or sometimes if they just hatch badly.

I havn't heard of adults getting it, but thats not to say they can't.

You mention the duck having an op, did the vet see the drake too?

Such a shame but your dog was only doing what he was bred for, Vizla's are actually bred to retrieve waterfowl, it must have been a great temptation for him.

The vet saw both ducks and Jack was not as injured as Vera. he was fine for a few days after Bud tried to 'play' with them. He was worse today, I had to hand feed him, he was starving. He just falls over all the time. Another vet call out tomorrow. But a bit of good news, Vera laid her 1st egg. I was so excited. I am a chef and that egg is gooing to good things tomorrow!!!. :D

Vet seems to think that Jack has a botulism based infection, which has wasted his thigh tissue. Gosh those antibiotic drops are hard to give. Any advice welcome. I am terrified I am going to put the drops down the wind-pipe!. Fingers crossed for Jacks recovery. Thank you for your help. Moyna