HennyPenny

George has turned nasty - is this normal and what can we do?

Our miniature silver appleyards (George and Mildred) have been happily co-existing with our chickens (and the cat) since last Autumn but just recently, George has started showing real aggression towards anything that crosses his path (except us, thank goodness). Is this because he needs another lady friend now he's mature (Mildred's not overly keen when he gets amorous!) or are all male ducks aggressive?

Luckily, the chooks are bigger than him, so they give as good as they get, but the cat's a bit of a scaredy creature and she's not very happy!! is there anything we can do?

Any advice would be very welcome!

Drakes will become agressive in Spring - and they can become really agressive :shock:

He may be happier with a couple more ladies or he may just settle down. Is Mildred mature as well? - it may be that she is still a bit young but as she becomes more mature and accepts his advances, he will be a bit happier.

My male call ducks chase after me - started to about a month ago after being perfectly friendly (they're to small to be scary though! :wink: The chickens put them in their place and the cats are scared of all of them anyway! ) and i know Fee had problems with her campbell male - i suspect it probably is a phase - Spring - as Lesley suggests. I would wait a while and see if his behavior changes before rushing out and buying him another girlfriend!