Steph101

Is Flubenvet harmful if they've had too much?

It's very difficult to see how much they are having. Mine generally fling their feed all over the place, so I'm not sure if they're even getting enough. :evil: Don't want to overcompensate by giving too much though. Following the death of lulu last Saturday, and given that Barbara has stopped laying this week, I'm wondering if there is a link? Or has she just 'got the hump' because we introduced three POL black rocks Wednesday night? :roll:

I suppose it depends on how much is too much.

The treatement for gapworm is double the normal dose ...so if you have not gone too far aove that you should be OK.....there is an egg withdrawal of one week after the end of the treatment with the double dose though.

No, I can't see that they've been overdosed then in that case. The dosage was on the tub, printed on a label with my name on '1 tsp per 4kg of feed'.

There's no way a grub feeder holds 4kg of feed, but I'd mixed a level tsp in a very full grub feeder, allowing for the fact that they throw their feed everywhere. Tried giving it inside grapes and raisins too; that was really hit and miss. Hard to know how much they've had. Might try it in porridge next time. They seem to scoff all of that; but again, you can't control if they're having equal portions. Would prefer to use something more natural like Vermex, but the general opinion seems to be that it's ineffective. I also give them all sorts of supplements in their feed and water to keep them healthy. ACV, poultry spice, battles poultry booster, diatom, bokashi, limestone flour, grit, garlic powder, cod liver oil, citricial if necessary, etc, etc... Really try hard to pamper them. Give them vegetables and museli or corn in the afternoon, the odd bit of salad. Try not to overload on the carbs though. Can't work out where I could be going wrong. :roll:

That does sound like quite a lot - the dose is 1g per chicken in total for a whole week - so based on 100g feed per day = 1g Flubenvet to 700g of feed.

Mine will eat wet pellets as a treat, so I measured out 7 days 'treats' rations, then mixed in 3g Flubenvet (for 3 chickens) & some poultry spice to hide the taste.

They came out every day very pleased with their 'treat' and ate it all up.

Have you tried weighing out 4kg of feed to see what it looks like? I wouldn't imagine a grub holds over 1kg at the very most (why not weigh the empty grub & fill up and weigh again?) As it is such a fine powder I was concerned if I just did it in the grub it would sink to the bottom and not give an even daily dosage.

Tracy