Pink Ladies

Falling over chicken!

Our chicken came out of the eglu today and was falling to one side. She has been using her wing to try and keep herself upright but we are not sure that its not the wing itself that is wrong. She is not limping and holds my finger well with her toes. She has laid an egg today and has been strolling around normally a little but most of the time is sitting down and her tail is down. She looks okl but quiet and is eating. It is sad to see her stumble and I am worried about her . A friend checked her over and can see no obviouse reason. Any ideas

Sorry, no real ideas, and I'm definitely no expert. There is a thread about calcium deficiency here. It might be worth reading that, as limestone flour is a cheap and easy option to try.

Hope someone else comes up with some more ideas, let us know how you get on.

Although she ran out of the eglu this morning, she now seems to have got worse. She is falling over and just laying around. She also seems to be moving her head aroung alot. Any adivse will be great please. We are really worried. Will call vets in the morning.

I'm afraid I probably won't be of much help as I have only had chickens for the past 6 weeks.

You say she is eating, has laid an egg and your friend has looked at her and can find nothing, maybe she is just trying to have a dust bath? They do tend to writhe around and look as though they have fallen over.

Betty was cuddled all afternoon but was very poorly. She has gone of to a friends who is a game keeper and knows lots about birds. It is thought that she had a stroke and there was nothing that could be done for her. They are putting her under a heat lamp and will really look after her. We are really lucky to have them. Betty is a wonderful chicken who very quickly became Top Chicken and brought us much love and fun! Although we are very sad and tearful in our family we are trying to think of the great things that Betty does. We are not very hopeful but know that our friends will do what ever they can for her. We are awaiting news. Never knew that keeping chickens would be so stressful and heart wrenching! Will update when we have news

I hope Betty pulls through. One of my old bantams, Pixie, developed a nervous system problem and was showing similar signs. She was moving her head around in a very bizarre manner, couldn't seem to stand on one of her legs and was constantly sitting down. She shook so much too, and we kept her inside warm. We had her put down as the vet advised that she wouldn't get better.

Sounds like your hen could still grab on to your finger though, and that she still has some feeling in her leg. I really hope she makes some improvement!

:( Betty died last night in her sleep whilst she was warm and comfortable. Even though we only had her for 4 weeks she has made a huge hole in our hearts. Betty the Bulldozer was full of life and into everything before any other chicken had a chance! She would steal tomatoes and hide them in the corners and then gobble the whole lot down and generally be the boss of everything. It is very sad to see the other two on their own now and we can't decide whether or not to get another girl. Still can't really say what was wrong with her but her having a stroke seems the most likely. It is unbelievable how quickly they go from being really healthy and happy to soo unwell. Betty will not be forgotten!

I;m so sorry to hear that Betty has died.

It sounds like she had a lovely life with you and, even though you didn't have her for long, no hen could have been more cared for. It's good that she passed away quickly without suffering.

<> to you and your family.