Polly

:S Really Concerned ! please help !!

My rabbit used to be a friendly happy rabbit but suddenly she has stopped eating and stared shaking and if i cough when im holding her she lowers her head. She has also started grunting and squeaking like a guinea pig

Although she is now eating a bit again she is still doing all the othe things

Please dont read this and go off it needadvice thankyooo

x[/b]

have you changed her feed recently? is she getting and eating plenty of hay? Is she pooing normally? Sometimes the 'flora' in their gut gets a bit funny and they loose interest in everything - this is ormally caused by a change in diet. Also if you have given her cold veg out of the fridge it can cause severe pain and digestive problems. Both these things are something you need to go to the vet for and pronto.

Aside from that it does sound like she needs to see a vet anyway.

i have changed her dietr but only for a day when i realised summin was wrong i changed it back and stoppped all of the new things i had been giving her. Im booking her in at the vets tommorrow as they are not open today she is starting to try to bite me when i touch her belly and stuff

Help

ok POlly, well it could be where the digestive tract seizes up - this is caused by a change in diet (although I have limited knowledge so please don't quote me on it). It happened to one of my bunnies. If you are changing their food you have to do it very gradually, mixing the 2 togther in ever increasing amounts, until you have 100% new food in their diet. Mine happened because the local grain place said the food was the same but it wasn't. My vet gave her a jab to get things moving again and also some paste to feed her (supposedly directly into her mouth, but found it easier to wrap it in a small piece of greens). I think you need to get the earliest appointment you can. How long has she been like it?

Bunnies have very sensitive digestive systems and so a sudden change can send it haywire and basically make it all seize up. They get very miserable and don't really move etc. Hopefully it will be something simple that the vet can sort out and she will be back to normal. Let us know how you get on.

Is she pooing normally? If she is, that's a good sign - her guts are working. if she's stopped pooing, she's gone into stasis - this is a real emergency and she might not make it through til tomorrow, don't mean to panic you but it is incredibly serious in bunnies. By law your vet must offer a locum service when they are closed - phone again and see if it says anything on the answerphone message.