Sarajane

mis-shapen beak

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago one of our hens, Jenny, died - no known cause, she just went off her feed one day and got more and more off colour until she just died 2 days later. I called the poultry breeder and was following his advice about caring for her but to no avail. He doesn't know what she died of, but replaced her with "Jenny 2". Jenny has a mis shapen beak. It doesn't seem to cause her any problems and she's feeding ok but I'm a little concerned that she might go the way of Jenny 1. Jenny 1 had a similar beak and in her case she was able to feed ok too.

The top part of her beak is shorter than the bottom and looks rounded compared to our other hens. She also has little split off bits to either side, rather like hangnails. Does anyone know what might have caused this? Would it be the result of a past injury or could it be some kind of infection? The poultry breeder is very kind and donated the hens to us as we are a school and I don't really want to ring and suggest that he has supplied diseased hens so I'm looking for some help and advice from you guys first.

Has anyone come across anything similar?

Sara

sounds like they've had their beaks clipped, this is just to prevent feather pecking when they are in large groups at the breeders.

Meringue had hers done when I got her, and so did Flo, think it just depends what policy the breeder has as some don't agree with it.