gemschooks

Red and featherless underbelly

Hi, not quite sure what this part of the chicken is called, but one of my girls has a noticeable lack of feathers on her undercarriage and looks a bit red. Does anybody have any ideas what this might be? The other three girls are fine, though I haven't treated them for mites yet.

Thanks

Gem

i have just come back from holiday and noticed this. I bought mite powder some time ago but the woman in the shop told me that she didn't bother with her chickens unless they experienced mites - I haven't noticed anything else untoward, and they others seem fine. I wondered if they may be going through a moult? They are perky, eating and drinking well etc.

The one thing I would say is that the one with the red belly is probably the scrawniest and most threadbare of the lot at the moment - when the others were gaining feathers (they are ex-batts) she seemed to lose a few from her neck, but I've never noticed her being picked on by the others.

I would do a lice and mite check....lift up their feathers and check around the vent area - if there are lice you will clearly see them on the hen (look like grains of rice).

Johnsons mite spray (blue tin with budgie on the front) is very good for lice infestations.

Same thing happened to me. It took me several weeks before I realised I had a feather plucker in the flock. I never saw her do it, but someone else did and after several fruitless attempts at anti pecking devices and ointments I fitted a bumper bit. Lo and behold their bottoms have sprouted fluffy feathers again.

thanks for your replies. I went and checked her again (chickens don't seem to enjoy being turned upside down :roll: ) and I can't see anything creepy crawly! She does look a bit plucked and sore though so will use the mite and louse powder just to make sure.

They've all laid today and have tucked into treats of sweetcorn, carrots, tomatoes and cucumber so all eating well and chirpy!

Thanks again x