*mummy_hen*

Advice please - food and water in house

Hi All,

Little confused as what to do about food and water when the girls are looked in at night - will we need to put food and water in the house with them.

If so, i'm worried about just moving the glug and grub in there incase they knock it over and get wet or something. I 100% don't want to leave the house door open, i know some people do, but i just wouldn't feel happy myself.

Please can somebody advice as to what the best thing to do. I did consider buying a supa glug and attaching it to wall for the water but not sure!!

Eeek - please help, pick them up in just under 5 days!!!!!

Thanks

Amy

With ex bats I would certainly close them up at night as their feathers need to re-grow and they will not cope as well in a draft. They are fine without food & water at night - just watch the race when they hear you coming in the morning to let them out!

All the best,

Tracy

They will be fine all night - no food or water required - just shut the eglu door (or some leave it open).

The chooks go to bed at dusk, so in Summer they can be as late as 10pm. But in winter my lot could be tucked up in "bed" as early as 4pm when the light fails, and still be OK until 7am when I let them out.

Thanks all - it seems pretty unanamous that they are going to be ok without.

Early mornings don't worry me too much as long as they will be ok to go without through the whole night.

Goodness....don't know what i'd do without this forum....it has prevented many a sleepless night and they haven't even arrived yet!!

I live in northern MN where it can get -30 and colder in the winter.  During the winter, my chickens have rarely ventured out of the coop. They had lots of room to move around inside the coop. We had a “neater heater” and I switched out frozen water twice a day. For this reason, I would need water/food available in the coop. Is this possible with an eglu?

On 6/24/2023 at 10:51 PM, MNChickenGirl said:

I live in northern MN where it can get -30 and colder in the winter.  During the winter, my chickens have rarely ventured out of the coop. They had lots of room to move around inside the coop. We had a “neater heater” and I switched out frozen water twice a day. For this reason, I would need water/food available in the coop. Is this possible with an eglu?

Would make it quite hard, to be honest. There aren’t standard fixtures for feeder and drinkers in the coop. And personally I would go for a bigger coop if your chickens will spend lots of time in the coop in the winter. The Cube is roomy, but not THAT roomy.