Auntie FiFi

Very poorly chicken

I have a very poorly chicken this week. On Monday I noticed that her neck was very distended and full of fluid - as soon as I picked her up she was sick. I thought her crop was blocked so tried the olive oil trick and massaged her. I also turned her upside down on the vets advice to get rid of all the gunk from insider her neck. This made her more comfortable but didn't really help and she seemed very under the weather. I took her to the vet on Tuesday and he thought that one of her eggs had broken inside her and caused a blockage. She had antibiotics and seemed a little better on Wednesday. More antibiotics at the vets on Wednesday but today (Thursday) she seems to have gone down hill completely. She's not eating or drinking. A friend has suggested that she has a parasite infection, although I'm not sure about this as none of my other girls shows any sign of being under the weather and there is no sign of any blood in her droppings. I have a feeling that tonight will be her last night but am worried that she has something infectious that the other will get (although I have kept her in the house away from the others) for most of the time since Tuesday). Also am worried about this happening again to another of my girlies. Does anyone have any similar experience? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!!

I'm so sorry I can't help, but you've done the best thing in taking her to the vets.

I just wanted to wish you well and hope that somehow she pulls through. :pray:

You could try putting her back with her friends, she may be happier. If it's to do with her crop it's unlikely to be infectious.