KateP

Impacted crop?

I opened the eglu door and Donna came running out as normal but Roxanne was missing. I checked inside and she was just sitting on the bars all hunched up and quiet. I picked her up and tried to stand her up but it seems like she can't stand. I examined her and her crop still looks and feels very full. It also feels quite hard.

I have brought her indoors in a box and she is still sitting very quietly. However, she keeps opening her beak to breath and appears to be breathing quite heavily.

Do you think this sounds like an impacted crop or something more?

As soon as the pet shop opens I am going to go and buy some maggots. I will also try and give her some olive oil and plenty of water. I need a small plastic syringe really, can these be bought from the pet shop or vets?

Thank you, I am so worried.

You can get a small plastic syringe from the chemist, sold for giving medicine to small children. Costs about a quid.

Olive oil and massage are essential in the first place.

Gentle massage every hour or so would be best.

Try to get water sweetened with a couple of drops of honey into her too.

Is there any long grass that she can access, if so, get the strimmer out.

Also, hay or straw used in the nest box can cause it as they are likely to eat it.

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

Thank you both for your replies.

I will go out as soon as the shops open but in the meantime I will try and spoon some olive oil into her beak. I have put a bowl of water into the box with her and she's drinking which is encouraging. There is some longish grass on the lawn so OH will be mowing it today!

Good that you spotted it early Kate.

The crop shouldn't be too difficult to clear as it is only one day. As the others have said, oil and massage works well to clear the crop, and maggots will loosen things up.

Hope she is better later :D

Well I have bought some maggots from the pet shop and she wasn't too keen on them at first but she has eaten a few now. They are disgusting, I had to put rubber gloves on before I could touch them!

I'm giving her olive oil with a syringe and massaging her crop. I think it does seem to have gone down slightly already. She is still sitting quietly but she can now stand up which is good.

Will let you know how she gets on.

Thanks

Brill news. Just for future reference if you don't have a syringe when you need one (like out of hours for shops) Nurofen for children is supplied with a type of syringe - most people with children have an abundance of them, & i'm one of them!