paintingbird

is my Flo getting broody?

I am not sure what is happening,

lettie and clara lay their eggs quite early in the morning, but Flo, bless her fluffy knickers, does not go into lay until 12noon, the time she spends in the nest box is getting longer and longer. Today she didn't come out until 4pm and only then when I called them for some treats. is she getting broody? does anyone know?

PP lettie biggest egg 90 grams

PP Clara

PP Flo

(cube green)

one very old cat Beau

one quite old husband David

:?

She could be. This is the same behaviour my regular broody exhibits before she goes into full broodiness.

Does she growl when you go near her on the nest or puff all her feathers up?

If so she definitely is.

If you're still not sure just try to stop her sitting by removing eggs as quickly as possible and kicking her off the nest once she's laid hers.

:anxious:

Hum Hum, Well Flo is a young bird she only laid her 1st egg on the 11th May this year. No she doesn't growl or puff her feather up. She did chuckle and let me stroke her while on the nest. Once she is off she doesn't go back again. Is it OK to feel under her to see if she has laid or not? I hate to put her off. Bit like being a midwife :!:shock: : I did notice she had shuffled the egg forward to the place where birds brood eggs.

I will keep you informed thanks for the tips. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

PP lettie

PP Clara

PP Flo

(cube green) Luxury accomodation for three hens

Is it OK to feel under her to see if she has laid or not? I hate to put her off. Bit like being a midwife :!:shock: :

I did that once and ending up feeling a vent :vom: and a sticky egg :shock: . I did feel like I'd invaded her privacy somewhat :lol: .

Now I just lost my mouthful of tea over that comment.. :lol::lol:

Spending ages on the nestbox while laying was the first sign before my chicken went extremely broody. To begin with I was worried because I thought something was wrong with her egg laying tackle, but now I know that it was the first sign of broodiness. Try and get her off the nest as soon as she's laid, easier said than done :roll: and try dunking her netherparts in cold water a few times a day, could save you weeks of worry.

Tessa.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Today she didn't go into the nest box until 3pm. when she hadn't come out at 4.30pm I opened the box gave her a stroke and gently slid my hand under her breast, she had the egg there. As soon as I removed it she got up and walked out as normal.

I shall keep my eye on her.

The other two Lettie and Clara both lay very early in the morning before 9am often together and we collect their eggs as soon as they come out of the box ( saddos we are) . It is just Flo who likes a bit of afternoon delight. I have told my husband to stop stroking her while wearing his red cardi! :roll:

best wishes and thanks

PP Lettie

PP Clara

PP Flo

Mine started doing the same then went full blown broody. :(

'Aint "Ooops, word censored!"ody here' recomended getting a cheap £10 puppy crate from Ebay-so i did and here it is as a broody box.When upside down off the floor,airflow goes through the wire cooling her down and the metal tray which normally would be the floor becomes the roof.I just drilled holes in it and tied wire to keep it inplace.Two days confinement is the norm and just remember food/water.

HPIM6893Custom.jpg

That looks good :D . What did you use to drill holes in the tray? (Bear in mind, I'm no DIYer :? )

lol-a drill! :lol:

I then used steel garden wire to fasten the tray to the wire so it dont drop down.For £10,im really pleased with its quality.Its fully galvanised so can be out in all weathers if need be and should last for years. :D

Thank you again for the linky cause all the others i browsed were much more expensive.

Yep.Any type of drill will do-cordless or electric.The drill bit though needs to be specific for metal and these are easily identified by their colour-they're always very dark grey for metal cutting.

If you cant-mark where you want the holes using a pen,remove it from cage,place on lawn and using a hammer-whack a big 6" nail through the tray.Its only thin gauge steel and shouldnt take much effort.