JM

Bald spot

I got my 3 chucks on Thursday and noticed that the pepperpot has a little bald spot just in front of her tail.

Feathers1.jpg

Feathers2.jpg

(not very good pics, but will give the idea)

It looks OKish - maybe a bit crusty, but certainly not raw or anything moving! She is also bright eyed and bushy tailed (well she doesn't actually have a proper tail yet, but you know what I mean) - and is doing normal chickeny things. There is no sign of any agro between any of the chucks - they all seem to get along fine. (She was a bit messy when she arrived - having sat in a travel crate for about 4 hours on Thursday.)

I've picked her up once yesterday, but she is the most timid of the three, so I don't want to stress her unnecessarily this early on.

Should I worry or is this part of chickens growing up?!

Thanks in advance

Jill

Looks as if it is her preen gland.

It is a little bump that secretes an oil with which they preen their feathers, located just above the tail.

I would have a look at it and bathe it if I were you. Use tepid salty water, or water with a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil.

It shouldn't be gunky.

Perhaps she has been pecked.

I had a look and bathed the area as suggested. (It was a bit tricky though as I'm still learning about picking them up!) The area looked a bit crusty - almost dandruffy (but I think the dandruff flakes were the keratin (if that is how you spell it) from where new feathers are coming out. Does that make sense?

I think maybe she has been pecked in the past. There are new feathers coming in the area, so I'll keep an eye on it.

The interesting thing is that everytime I went near her after that, she crouched down... (thinking "oh no not again I guess"!!)

Thanks

Jill