SarahJo

Fleece on .. Fleece off.

Phew ... don't know about the rest of you .. but keeping everything "warm" is a challenge in itself. :!: . I have fleeced alot over the last few days ... so the frost has not beaten me YET. Having said that the WIND :evil: . My big bamboo in a big pot, has survived many a blowing over in the past, and not even a chip. Last night ..... :shock: , the wind got it just right .. and a new pot is definately needed. The only good thing being that the rootball was tight, so soil did not go everywhere .......bamboo aside, they are predicting more frosts next week. :roll::shock: .

Fleece on ... Fleece off. :roll: .

I'm just putting fleece ON - and leaving it :? The frost has got the potatoes but hopefully they will be OK. Everything else is alright although we did gain someone's recycling box today - we usually lose things when it is windy, not gain them 8)

Thanks Sarah - ours are under one layer now as I had to stretch it over the six rows of carrots as well! I'm hoping that they come up while we are awy and not get eaten by slugs! I've set three beer traps using Carl's Homebrew - hoping he doesn't notice :?

I'm hoping that they come up while we are awy and not get eaten by slugs! I've set three beer traps using Carl's Homebrew - hoping he doesn't notice
:lol::shock: , Have just spoken to James at HQ, and he mentioned Carls homebrew .... so on that basis I think he WILL notice. :shock::lol::lol::lol: . (Apparently its very good 8) ).

What is going on with the weather - we have a warning for frost tonight. We probably won't get it in our backyard because it has a microclimate - one advantage of living in a 'heat-sink' of victorian terraces with tiny backyards - but it feels very cold outside. It is mid-May - there shouldn't be any more frosts even up here in the north :evil:

Yes and I was coming up from Oxford with a view to a new job that weekend too. I had been offered the post and was trying to decide where to live :shock: The next day i spent in a very soggy Peebles that had about 4 inches of rain :? And I still made the move - nuts or what :lol:

I've had to put my runner beans out today, earlier than I would like but they will suffer in the polytunnel if I leave them while on holiday.

I've wrapped bubble wrap around the wigwams and put fleece in the middle as well - fingers crossed.

Any snow would just insulate them :lol:

I've had to put my runner beans out today, earlier than I would like but they will suffer in the polytunnel if I leave them while on holiday.

They should be ok Lesley, mine have been out for about 4 weeks. I have fleece pegged to the netting and just roll it down and tent peg at the bottom, at night, and then roll it back up in the mornings ... really quick and keeps them snug at night. The good thing about the fleece being on all the time while you are on hols, is that it still lets light and a wee bit of moisture in. 8)

One thing we use for individual plants in the backyard are cut off large coke bottles as a mini greenhouse over each plant. This year I am experimenting to see if the half with the top of will work as well because this will give a bit of ventilation and I can leave it on during the day as well. Mind you, we don't have that many plants in the yard - if you have rows then the individual treatment could be a bit time consuming.

This year we are also doing the thing from the Lazy Kitchen Gardener with hanging cut off milk cartons (Paul gets them from work) from hooks on the wall. This also keeps them up out of the reach of the girls and we can position them for maximum sun. I've also made my first wine bottle container from the same book - I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Everything we put out has survived and some of the fleece has now been taken off - I've left some on because the Blackbirds are driving me mad, digging everything up!

The stuff that we overwintered has done really well and yesterday I picked peas, broad beans, cabbage, asparagus, globe artichokes, rocket, lettuce and 'green' garlic.

The girls had a treat of a five foot brocoli plant! - it had started to flower. I hung it up by the roots and they have to go up the wooden step-ladder to reach the leaves.

We've taken most of the fleece off now. Yesterday, May 31st, we had our first New Potatoes - a record for us. We won't be digging up any more just yet as they will benefit from a bit longer but it was easier than going shopping :lol:

I will post the photo of chickens with 5' cabbage - in Gardens