SueChick

Fitted Bumper Bit -Now Feel Worried & Cruel! Help Please

I have finally admitted defeat in my fight against using bumper bits. All of the lovely, glossy, black feathers were pulled out again after weeks of spraying the digusting Ukadex (I guess she got immune to the smell of Nugget finally and decided those lovely, yummy feathers looked worth the smell!).

My husband and I put the bumper bit on Chicken tonight and I feel like the worst Mummy in the World. She wiped her beak on the floor, shook her head, scratched at it with her claws and constantly bit at it (made a funny little clicking noise). I feel horrible but Nugget's bald patches are getting redder and I am worried that it won't be long before blood appears.

I tried to tempt her with some treats and although she was keen and kept trying to eat them, she seemed to be having trouble eating with the bit on. Is this usual? Do they get used to it quite quickly? I don't think I can stand watching her struggle for too long....it seems very cruel.....

Could someone let me know that I am doing the right thing and that she will get over it soon....

Leave it on!

I really didn't like using an anti peck ring on my ginger and felt terrible but in desperation put one on her for two weeks. She was able to eat pellets and drink ok, but I think she did miss out on some treats and veggies. After this we removed the ring. We've had no recurrance of the problem yet and that was about six weeks ago now.

If i see any signs of feather pulling or pecking I won't hesitate to do the same again, but this time I won't put it off so long, it definatly worked for me.

My old girls have had theirs on about 10 days now.

I understand you saying it looks like it is hard for them to peck at small treats on the ground, & it is at first, but they don't seem to have any problems pecking seeds, mealworms etc now.

They are full used to the bits & I'm not taking them off- even I don't notice them now when I look at my girls.

Leave it on. Hens forget it was ever any different after spending one night wearing a bumper bit.

She won't be able to do delicate biting with the bit in her mouth: but she will manage sweetcorn, or cut-up grapes. And she will get better at biting off food with practice.

That kind of serous feather-plucking eventually progresses to flesh eating, and the bully can even kill the hen that she is victimizing.

I have been using a bumper bit on one of my girls since last year. I did feel mean at first but she had done some serious damage to my other girl so I felt that I had no choice.

She was cross for a day or two that she had to wear it but she is perfectly fine now. She can eat and drink as normal and doesn't seem to notice it anymore.

I remember feeling terrible when Kim had to wear a bumper bit - and my children called me outrageously cruel and told me to take it off. But Kim got used to it very quickly and could manage everything as far as I am aware. When it fell off, she no longer attacked the new girls. :D:D

Be hard and protect the victim not the aggressor!