Yolky

Position of eglu in the garden help please.

I have been looking round my garden and one problem I have is that the ground is bumpy so finding an area that would accomodate the eglu is a bit difficult, although could be done but it would mean lots of digging and making an area. There is one area at the end of my garden where I could put them but it has no shade there. Is that ok? I know that you get a shade for the run but I don't want the chickens to over heat. Although I guess it would be good in the winter as the run would dry out quicker.

What do you think?

I keep mine in a 'special' corner of the garden, which has solid fencing all around and a privet hedge on one side.

They do need shade, so definitely get the winter shade as the summer shade doesn't offer that much protection.

Some people used a garden umbrella in the summer to give the eglu shade as well.

Personally, I would try and find some natural shade for them. You could always move them to their 'Winter area' when you need to?

The ground doesn't have to be 'bowling green' flat, just fairly level - as long as the run skirt is fairly flat on the ground. You can level out the odd bump or two.

I'd go for somewhere that's convenient for you, natural shade is good but you can easily create shade if there's not enough. Think about going up to the Eglu on wet or frosty mornings - mine is at the far end of the garden, and it's not much fun hopping up there in my PJs in the winter! Also think about where you will store the pellets etc. - do you want them conveniently close to that, or will you just fill up the Grubs etc and carry them over.