peepie

Reassurance and advice needed please.

Thought she was a little perkier over the last couple of days but still not fully OK. Picked her up yesterday and there seemed to be even a resonable amount of food in her crop. But then again today she's just standing around, tail down and her crop is totally empty again. Still got a couple of doses of antibiotics left so I'll keep going.....

Totally not sure what to think now. We had a big family party here at the weekend and one of my husbands relatives was there. He's a retired chicken farmer 57 years in the business (unfortunately of the battery persuasion in an earlier life but now has a few free range ones - maybe he saw the light...) He had a good look at her and seems to think she's got a form of cancer and will eventually waste away but as with humans will have some good and some bad days until she does. Hubby spoke to him as I was taking son to a function at school at the time. Being a "real" farmer he offered to wring "its" neck and sort my son out with a new one cost free. Fortunately hubby declined his offer - my mother in law's 70th birthday party was not the time or place to have a devastated 7 year old.

I really don't know what to do now. I'm glad it's not something contagious as I was worried for the other 2 before. We'll be away in a few weeks and a neighbour and her kids are looking after them. I don't feel it's fair to leave them with an ailing chicken. I think I'll see how she goes for the next couple of weeks but it might mean having her put to sleep in the end. Some days I think it might be kinder for her anyway as something is evidently not good at all. I don't think she's been eating again today. She's been sitting on the floor in the run and the other 2 have been trampling on her but then she'll brighten up for a bit. Her face is ever so pale though. I'm really hoping she'll just pass away peacefully by herself over the next couple of weeks. :cry::cry::cry:

Very sorry to hear your news. At least now you do know what is wrong. It's a very difficult situation, but given how poorly she is, and the fact that she is'nt eating well, she may pass away soonish. I've had to take a few pets over the years to the vets on a final journey and just typing this to you is making me well up!!

:( What sad news.... how sure was this person about it being cancer? could they feel any kind of tumour anywhere on the chicken?

It is so hard to know what to do, not wanting to watch an animal drag on with low quality of life, yet wanting to give the best chance to keep them alive hoping that somehow they'll get well...

If you have a few weeks, maybe things will happen in their own time, as you say it would be hard to leave her with someone when she is so poorly... I find it is very hard for a child to come to terms with putting an animal to sleep... my girls can cope with animals dying from illness, but when we had to put one of our cockatiels to sleep, they were very, very upset, couldn't bear the fact we were doing it to the pet... I did tell them the truth about it, thinking it is part of learning the kind of responsibilities one has as a pet owner, but I don't think I'll ever forget the expression in their eyes when they realised what I was talking about... we have many pets though and I know it might, and probably will, happen again...

Let us know how you get on...

Sorry to hear about your poorly girl.

It doesn't sound like she's going to perk up. One of the great things about antibiotics is that you usually see an improvement within a day, as they get a boost to their system... and then the chook either gets better, or declines again rapidly. Sometimes a different antibiotic will help, as some are broad spectrum, others are more targetted.

If you are going away, then I would recommend you go back to the vet and be prepared to have your hen put down. If the antibiotic isn't working, or stops working, it can be a long, slow, gradual decline and it can be harder to make the final decision. I've been through it, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Please don't put your neighbours through it.

http://witchhazelhens.blogspot.com/2008/04/lydia-updates.html

http://witchhazelhens.blogspot.com/2008/05/lydia-updates-week-2-monday.html

http://witchhazelhens.blogspot.com/2008/05/lydia-updates-week-3-monday.html

Well here we are another week on. She seems much better in herself most of the time and is only having the occasional tail down episode at the moment. Her feathers are starting to grow back and she's much more alert. Not quite as bright as the other 2. Maybe there's hope. No eggs from her yet though but she's looking quite a bit redder again.

Just don't know what to think now :?

Thanks for all your support

xx

We had a 3 egg day today. :D:D:D

Hopefully that means she's feeling better - I really hope so as we're going away for 2 weeks soon and they're staying with friends. They came round the other day and I explained that she hadn't been well for ages but seemed a little better at the moment. It had got to the stage where I would have taken her to be put down if they hadn't been happy to do it if she looked miserable again. They're old friends of ours and I know they've had animals in the past so they said if she was really miserable they would take her to be put to sleep. At least that way she gets a chance. Maybe she heard us talking and thought she'd better lay!!

It was really funny that she laid today though as this morning I picked her up and said to my son she felt much more solid again and gave him a glimmer of hope that she might be getting better. She's still got loads of feathers missing on her back but I've fitted the bully with a bumper bit so hopefully that will improve.

Thank you all so much for your concern and support over the past few weeks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think this will be my last post on this string!

We've been away for 2 weeks and the people looking after her have had an egg from all 3 hens for the past 11 days :D:D:D

I THINK SHE'S BETTER!!!

:dance::dance:

Thank you all for all your advice - hopefully I won't need to ask for any more about that sort of thing for a long time. In the meantime, hopefully having had some experience I'll be able to help out a little more with advice.

xxx