Egluntyne Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 Can you believe it is the first anniversary of the floods. Where has the time gone? I've just been watching Look North and folk are still living in caravans parked in their front gardens. How dreadful for them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helly Welly Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 I know, i saw it on the Six o'clock news. It's just appalling that people are still in caravans. This months Readers Digest has stories from people who went through that hell, what was encouraging were the stories of everyone pulling together. There but for the grace of god..... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yolky Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 How awful that people are still in caravans. Very sad situation. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stoobie Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 I spent the day at home when it happened - there was no way I was travelling to Sheffield to work and then have to stay over in town. Luckily I am quite high up so I didnt get affected but I am not far from that reservoir that was this close to bursting its banks. I sat and watched Sky news all day waiting to see what would happen! Mind you my train was then cancelled for the next three months due to part of the line washing away and I had to get the bus instead Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mand and family Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 Hi everyone The floods affected most people I know in one way or another. One person who I work with is still living upstairs and is only just getting back to normal, be it just getting her walls plastered. It took me 3 hours to get home, a journey of around 20 minutes normally. The worst thing is that it could happen again as there is no contingency plan and some of the drains/gullys in the streets have still not been cleared of dirty etc, so are blocked. We say the flooding will not be from the river I live near to, it is most likely be the drains and the lack of working pumping stations that will make us flood again. But we were one of the lucky ones, only our garden flooded this time! I still say Hull was the forgotten city! I just hope it doesn't happen again, I've got my chickens now and they might drown! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 Even Banbury flooded badly... and they're still building on the pigging flood plains!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted June 26, 2008 Share Posted June 26, 2008 It wasn't fair that Gloucestershire got all the attention, we lost our water supply and there were lots of badly affected people some of whom are still not back home but it could have been a whole lot worse if we had lost our electricity supply as well. I feel that Hull has had worse long term affects and agree that it does seem to have been forgotten. Let's hope that it doesn't happen again Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chocchick Posted June 26, 2008 Share Posted June 26, 2008 I'd have to agree. I hardly heard anything about Hull. There is a road near us that still hasn't been repaired and there has been a diversion for a year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted June 26, 2008 Share Posted June 26, 2008 A friend was badly affected and has just got back into her home - they lost everything that was downstairs, and their lovely garden was totally ruined. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Clash City Rocker Posted June 26, 2008 Share Posted June 26, 2008 People in the worst hit parts of Worcester have recently returned to their homes. The problems they have now as reported in our local press recently is that they now can not get their propertys insured for a reasonable price, due to the £1000's of pounds they've claimed from the insurers for the last flood. The example given in the press was for £8,000 for their annual house insurance, though most insurers were not prepared to accept anyone in the effected post code area. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...