Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area.

How do you make a dust bath, I mean what do you use? I have a largeish shallow bowl and my husband has brought home some sand (builders for making cement), I'm not sure what else goes in and is my sand the right/wrong kind, it's very orange?!

Thanks

Hi New Girl

You need play sand, the sort that goes into sand pits, B&Q sell it. I wouldn't use builders sand.

I use a mix of half play sand and half cheap garden potting compost, mixed together in a large shallow earthenware flower pot or you could use a washing up bowl or shallow tub trug. Add a generous sprinkling of mite power and/or diatomous earth (sp!!) which should help them keep the bugs away :lol:

Don't be surprised if they ignore it at first though :roll:

Mine seem to eat it, although they did use it as a dust bath as well :lol: It seemed to slowly disappear over the week :? I must admit it is empty in their run at the moment - I have been emptying a flower bed of heathers - the girls have discovered it. Pretty much made their own dust baths - they will hate me when I replant it.

2616030172_76d94bab72.jpg

2616028870_d4e2859a65.jpg

2616029480_2bb1243395.jpg

Even though mine free range and have 2 enormous craters in the flower bed, I still have a dustbath permanently in the run for when they are locked in.

I use an old plastic box and dry garden earth and that's it.

If I have some DE (diatomous earth) I sometimes put some in. But not an essential to rush out and buy. Obvious, I know, but make sure the dust bath is placed under cover out of the rain.

100_2286.jpg

Being the dutiful hen mother, I bought play-sand to give the girls a home-made dust bath.

However, they decided they were much more efficient at said task. They have completely ignored my efforts and have made several craters under the oak tree, particularly Mabel who likes to half bury herself before covering her beautiful feathers in soil. A joy to watch. :D

I should have been doing the ironing - oh I do love any excuse. :lol: