StephanieSB Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 Can I ask for some snack ideas please? What are your chickens' faves? We just got a batch of strawberries that my husband is about to make into jam. Can I nick a few for my chickens? Is fruit okay for them, being high in sugar? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cammy73 Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 Hi mine don't like strawberries but hey you don't know til you try...Mine love grapes and tuna and sweetcorn, pasta and danelion leaves!! Sharon x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Laura & CTB Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 Spaghetti, rice, lettuce, melon, tomatoes all get a bashing here Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
shaun Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 spaghetti, rice, cous cous, sweetcorn (on cob), brocolli (hung up), mealworms Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stevie Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 Marmite on toast-they go potty for it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
StephanieSB Posted June 29, 2008 Author Share Posted June 29, 2008 Ah, thanks all. I will try the pasta tomorrow (will cook a bit extra with my son's lunch), but the marmite is out for now, as the OH announced, "Oh ho, they will have to lay a whole lotta eggs before I start to share my marmite!" So I left that there. I have some greens, mung bean and brocooli sprouts, germinating in a jar now, so hope to share that with them later in the week -- hang it up like the broccoli suggestion above, and see if they go for that. Couscous and sweetcorn are also regulars in our house, so they will get a try at those in due course.... see what they prefer. Today I tried strawberries and roasted chestnuts. Nuit and Phuzz (the top gals; the 'dynamic duo') ate a bit of the chestnuts, but totally turned their beaks up at the strawberries. Boudica is game for both. She is the bottom of the pecking order, though, so even though the others don't want the treats, they are keeping her from them as much as possible. Poor wee gal keeps having a go though -- she may be on the bottom, but she's not totally cowed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 Mine love sweetcorn, mealworms, melon, mango, strawberries, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, blueberries, rice, pasta, aples, pears, etc. and they certainly enjoyed my tuna sandwich that they pinched a few weeks ago. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
StephanieSB Posted June 29, 2008 Author Share Posted June 29, 2008 ... and they certainly enjoyed my tuna sandwich that they pinched a few weeks ago. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Webmuppet Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 Mine love anything they have nicked from the veg patch , gone to seed spinach, corn on the cob, apple cores ( thanks to LMW), and come charging across the lawn for corn. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 Pasta, rice, mashed potato, strawberry tops, cherry tomatoes, spinach. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
janette1954 Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 I was wondering why I had no raspberries this year OH then explained about the new game which involves jumping up and catching raspberries as soon a the girls are let out of the run am now wondering if this might mean I can make a quick version of raspberry pavlova Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
deejmum Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 Yorkshire puddings are a big favourite for mine. I cook extra every sunday, made with lovely fresh eggs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...