alih

Distended crop...advice please!

i have just noticed that my 20 week girls has a very distended crop - it feels soft but firm and is definitely something that has happened since early this morning - she has been free-ranging in my garden along with the others and seems perky. Do I do anything or just hope it goes down?

am just worried as it looks and feels completely different to the 3 others', having had a good massage of all crops just now - hers is definitely bigger and more pendulous..will try not to worry...thanks guys :?

am still worried - Iggy has started moving her head in a weird way, as if trying to dislodge something, and she seems even more swollen than before. have got some olive oil down her but not sure what else to do or whether being premature? Problem is am at work tomorrow and friday all day so can't watch/ treat her properly. Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Errmm, far be it for me to contradict your breeders recommendations, but that could be quite dangerous if she inhales the vomit.. which is quite likely to happen.

Chooks don't have a vomit reflex, so it would mean turning her upside down to get it to drain. This only really works with sour crop when the crop contents are liquid (and even then isn't recommended) . It won't work at all with impacted crop, just serve top make her more uncomfortable and poorly.

Follow the instructions int he sticky that you read and if she's no better in 48 hours then take her to the vet. Try not to worry too much.

I'm glad that you asked here first Ali.

Oh thanks, Claret, was very unwilling to try it as she did say I should be careful not to suffocate the chicken! She is a lovely woman and I fear I am a complete handbag but I knew you guys would have good tips. I have given her lots of massages, some oil and probiotic yoghurt and ordered the maggots! Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow! iggy is pretty perky so I reckon she should be able to cope until they arrive. Have found an avian vet nearby just in case...it's just trying to fit it all in with work and kids!!!! Will see how she is in the morning. It's my 5-year-old's birthday today so am going to put her to bed and enjoy a big glass of wine! Thanks for calming me down. :)

Each hen is different and she may just be more of a gannet than the others, and hence have a bigger crop. Some hybrids have very large, pendulous crops.

I wouldn't be too worried at this stage. The main thing to check for is whether her crop is empty in the morning before she eats. If it is then she's fine. If it's full and hard then it may well be impacted. Just because it looks bigger/harder than the others doesn't necessarily mean that it IS impacted.

thanks - it's not at all hard in fact, just massive and as big as a tennis ball whereas the others' are much smaller....fed her a bit of olive oil tonight and gave her a massage so will see how she is in the morning....your advice is much appreciated, as is your patience with such a worrier!

well was up at 5.30 as could hear the scrum going on in the eglu! Iggy's crop is, if anything, bigger than last night and certainly harder. have got to work all day today so can't do the massaging etc till later. Hope the maggots arrive but will prob make vet's appointment for tonight or tomorrow just in case - hope he doesn't suggest surgery! :?

If it is still big and hard this morning (the crop that is!!! :shock::wink: ) then it will probably be impacted crop; follow the instructions in the thread I mentioned and if it's not recoverign in 48 hours then best take her to the vet.

Try to isolate her if you can so that she's not trying to eat any more and make sure that she has very little food, but plenty of water. Avipro in the water will help to keep her hydrated and dosed up with minerals and vitamins.

well I took Iggy to a lovely avian vet who keeps chickens himself who looked at every bit of Iggy and told me he thought she was fine, just a greedy guts. He says they all have different sized crops and that she seems alert and healthy so to keep an eye on her. am very relieved. My DD and I thought we should rechristen her Piggy! Thanks so much for all the advice though - if there's any change will update the forum. :)

Just seen this post, so I'm a bit late, but I had exactly the same worries with Barbara, one of our gingers. I've treated her crop a couple of times now, but in all honestly, it's just the way she is! She always has a bulgy, greedy looking crop. There I was, putting olive oil down her throat with a syringe, and feeding her bowls of maggots (they all loved these though).

But it seems to be normal for her. :lol:

just fed Iggy some yoghurt and pellets mixed as still not convinced she is ok and she regurgitateds what looked like wheatgrass juice as she was eating? Is this normal? I don't want to take her back to tthe vet to be told she is fine again - can't afford it for a start! And she is perky enough and laying. Am I being negligent? I have been feeding her maggots for 4 days now and there seems to be no difference....what would you guys do? :?

I'd persist with the oil and massage for a bit longer. You can do the massage bit at night whilst she is drowsy.

On some fora, they recommend massaging the plug upwards and out of the hens mouth, rather than downwards.

Ginette had a lot of success with maggots, but had to persist for a long time, maybe that would work for you too.