Clur

Tips for selling a second-hand car

When I chopped in my company car, I bought a little (emphasis on the little!) car - a Japanese version of a mini. My husband fell in love with it and managed to source another one and bought it. All that is great, but it means we have our Honda Stream MPV to sell and I hate selling privately as it always seems a hassle.

We've just put it on Auto-Trader online but not had much response so far. Has anyone tried to sell a car on eBay? We're not selling it for a huuuge amount (around 4k) but is that too much to expect a decent response online?

Anyone got any other tips for selling privately? I am trying to speed things up as DH is having too much fun driving the new car to look at getting rid of the old one, and I'm fed up with too many cars on the driveway!!!

We sell all our cars on ebay & hubby has a bit of a sideline buying & selling on motorbikes there too.

We sell a lot of them 8)

It works well. There is a set listing fee.Set a reserve,offer that viewings are welcome,specify that buyer must collect,DON'T accept payment by Paypal as you will be clobbered by fees, & start it on a Thursday late afternoon on a 10 day run,so it ends on a Sunday & covers 2 weekends.

Good luck 8)

I've bought a car on ebay - post loads of pics and be brutally honest about everything. As a purchaser, I had far more regard for those that listed every ding and dent. It's also good to be able to see as much of the car as possible before deciding to view. Good luck! 8)

I can't help I'm afraid as I'm selling one myself and having no luck.

Did a classified ad on ebay and didn't get a single genuine response

Been in Auto Trader for 2 months - not one genuine response.

Its parked on a grass verge outside my house, had one phone call.

I wonder if people are off gas guzzlers at the moment (2 litre mondeo). Its VERY fairly priced, 2 years old, year manufactuer warranty left, nearly 2k less than dealers are selling them for but not a sniff.

Completely off topic (sorry!) but do you mind me asking which Japanese car? I fell in love with the figaros when I saw them but concerned about their ages and rust problems so just wondering what the alternatives are.

We went for something called a Daihatsu Mira Classic. They come with a 659cc engine but have a turbo so are quite respectable and powerful enough for the daily commute. There were 50 sold through Daihatsu in the UK, they were 9,000 new and come with a full leather interior, all-round leccy windows and aircon and are 4 wheel-drive....but they are tiny like the old minis :lol: They fetch around 2,000 now and you can take a look at one on here:

http://www.zen70509.zen.co.uk/miraclassic/pages/gallery.htm

Ours are silver (that's the original colour) and have silver alloy wheels. They are BRILLIANT fun to drive and as they're a 4-seater, they're more practical than the Figaro for us (we have 2 kiddies)

Thanks for the tips - I'll get the advert ready for eBay on Thursday. PenguinMad, sorry you've had no luck either :(

The MPV we're selling has a 2.0l engine too, but quite economical but I guess people are cautious at the moment.

You could also try on Piston Heads asit reaches a very large area..

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/

Another tip when you take photos or have people to view is to use a cannuba wax based polish or detailer.. get it glossy! and use tyre dressing.. make the car look as new as possible! a spray with a cockpit cleaner and air freshner would do wonders too!

Oooh, carnuba wax - love the stuff! Used to take a day off every 3 months to spend it cleaning and polishing the Lexus I had at the time. Obviously that was pre-kids when I had time and money! Now I am an impoverished (time AND money) mum of two :lol:

Oooh, carnuba wax - love the stuff! Used to take a day off every 3 months to spend it cleaning and polishing the Lexus I had at the time. Obviously that was pre-kids when I had time and money! Now I am an impoverished (time AND money) mum of two :lol:

Yup I know its usually expensive! I like zymol but I can also recommend a cheaper alternative that we've used for showing cars at concours.. its called P21s.. about £25 which is a quarter of the Zymol price!

Mind you my days of buying any sort of wax are numbered as spend too much time and money of chooks instead!

Interestingly, I have been trying to sell my Sportka and used Ebay as I have done for several car's - both bought and sold.

The auction ran but only made just under £4000 and that wasn't enough :lol:

I've put it back on Ebay, with a Buy it Now and Best Offer option and had one response from a girl in Edinburgh, but two nights ago I put it on Autotrader - two spam emails, and a call tonight have resulted in a lovely sounding lady from South London getting the train to Gloucester on Friday as she loves the car already.

Ebay Listing

Autotrader ad

I put loads of photo's on and try to be as descriptive as possible.

We'll see soon enough if it pays off.....:?

Good luck selling the Honda - a good tip is to check the value of the car on Whatcar Valuations or on Parkers Here

A

xx