Steph101

Black rock unwell

Maureen, one of our black rocks, who is at the bottom of the pecking order,

Looks unwell this morning. I first noticed her just standing in the run with her head tucked under her wing – not much unusual there.

But it carried on for a couple of hours, so I decided to have a closer look.

Then I noticed she kept closing her eye; she seems to have white patches/marks around the lid area. Any ideas what this could be?

She’s definitely not herself. :cry:

Hope you can help.

Many thanks everyone

Stephanie.

I have no experience of poorly hens so am just clutching at straws, but could she have lice? Found this on google:

• Lice: Symptoms: White build up around the feather base near the vent, in a bad case there could be a build up on feathers as well. The whiteness is lice eggs. If you do find lice eggs around the vent when checking the chicken's health, brush them off and rub vaseline around the area, (sulphur ointment is better than killing lice if the problem persists). To prevent this, dust the nestbox with louse powder every week or so. Don't panic, they will not spread to you or other animals!

Well, she's been eating and drinking. I brought her into the house and washed her bottom, and just let her sit there in the tea tree scented foam for a while witha towel round her neck; she seemed to enjoy it. I then towelled her off, then got the hair dryer round her vent, and gave her a dusting of diatom. I bathed her eyes with some citricidal in warm water, changed their feed and drink, and popped some tonic stuff into their water.

A had some Denguard, so put some of that in too (the breeder we got the chooks off gave it to me). I noticed when I was bathing her her breathing was a little shallow. She laid an egg at around two o'clock. She was just hunched in the run with the others while it was raining; now she's out again pecking around because the sun's out. I'm keeping a close eye. I want to avoid a pointless trip to the vets if I can - my son's off to Paris in a few hours, we're all running around like idiots trying to get organised, and all I can do I stare at Maureen! There are no chicken expert vets around here so I'm hoping it won't come to that. :(

I dont think a trip to the vets should be ruled out as she may have an underlying infection which is making her feel so down and out of sorts.

The vet may suggest Baytril which is a broad spectrum antibiotic and from using it with my girls i find it works very well and they usually start to bounce back quite quickly.

I do hope she starts to pick up soon

I never see a trip to the vet as pointless, whether they find anything wrong or not because it stops you from worrying. Coffee wasn't right a few weeks ago and although the vets is a 40 minute round trip, we took her along for a check up and despite finding nothing obvious wrong apart from her being in pain when her wings were moved, they gave her some medication and she was much better the next day. OK so she may have recovered on her own without veterinary intervention but I was worried, the vet couldn't find anything life threatening wrong with her and for £20, I came home feeling much happier instead of having to sit and fret about her. If you're really worried about her, the vet can check for obvious problems such as a high temperature, crop impaction, peritonitis etc and treat her if necessary or at least put your mind at rest if there's nothing wrong.

If you don't know of any chicken friendly vets in your area, try these sites for avian vets in case there's anyone listed nearby you can take her to

http://www.birdcareco.com/English/Avian_vets/avian_vets.html

http://www.ukparrotrescue.co.uk/avian-vets.html

http://www.parrotpassionsuk.com/Advice/Uk_Avian_Vets.htm

or find a vet - http://www.any-uk-vet.co.uk/index.htm

There is also a list of forum recommended vets here

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4447

Well, I didn't want to post too soon, but.... she's as right as rain today! What joy! :D She gradually started to pick up yesterday evening, and after they'd gone to bed, I brought her into the house for a cuddle for half an hour. So whatever it was, I've no idea, obviously, but today she's looks really well. Even jumping on an off the eglu with the others! Amazing.

I put all sorts of stuff in the water, and she drank plenty yesterday afternoon, so whether that had an effect, who knows. :roll::D

I can't tell you how relieved I am! I woke with a start this morning at 5am, heart pounding... I was so thrilled to see her come bounding out with all the others. But thanks for your support everyone, and particularly to you, Kate, for provding all the vet info. There are about three which are a 40 min drive away, so not too bad...I'll bear those in mind for when things get dire...!

Great news, Steph. Glad the list of vets has proved useful. A 40 minute drive if you're worried is nothing, really, is it. My local vets which are a walk down the road point blank refuse to treat hens so I have to drive to the next town to a veterinary hospital to get my girls treated but it's good to know there are avian vets so near, isn't it. Glad your hen seems to be feeling much better. Hope she continues to improve, bless her.