Steph101 Posted July 13, 2008 Share Posted July 13, 2008 When I was just just out in the garden inspecting the flitraps, I noticed loads of maggots crawling around with the flies in one of them! That can't be right, surely Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted July 13, 2008 Share Posted July 13, 2008 We had it with ours. I did a thread about it. The stench was awful and I made hubby take them all down and get rid. How long have you had yours up for? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 13, 2008 Share Posted July 13, 2008 Some must have managed to lay a few eggs before popping their clogs. Presumably the maggots will die, even if you have to wait for them to turn into flies. Why not give Flitrap a call and ask them what to do......if anything. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steph101 Posted July 13, 2008 Author Share Posted July 13, 2008 We had it with ours. I did a thread about it. The stench was awful and I made hubby take them all down and get rid. How long have you had yours up for? About six weeks, i guess. To be honest, the smell of them is worse than anything the chickens can produce. I'm regretting having them. My OH reckons they're attracting all the flies within a five mile radius. I'm looking out now, and even though I've been round poo picking the garden if full of flies. I've heard the rotting meat smell attracts foxes, too. Great. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steph101 Posted July 13, 2008 Author Share Posted July 13, 2008 Some must have managed to lay a few eggs before popping their clogs. Presumably the maggots will die, even if you have to wait for them to turn into flies. Why not give Flitrap a call and ask them what to do......if anything. Yes, I think I'll give them a call tomorrow. I mean, there are LOADS of them. Going strong, lively as anything. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 13, 2008 Share Posted July 13, 2008 I have mentioned before that 2 of my Flitraps vanished mysteriously last year, and my neighbour found one on his lawn, with obvious teeth marks in it, so I concluded that it was the fox who had taken it as he was noticed once or twice lurking around the area where the Flitrap was hanging. I'm sure someone else had a similar experience, but I can't remember who or which thread. Flitraps certainly do attract flies though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steph101 Posted July 13, 2008 Author Share Posted July 13, 2008 Yes, I knew I'd read it somewhere. Looks like they attract everything! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...