Staffordmum

Gingernut Rangers pecking necks

One of our girls has a complete bald neck and I put this down to being in moult - the rest of her doesn't look too hot right now and theres only been one egg daily for some while. I used Verm-x on the 1st of this month.

On Sunday I noted one of them pecking at the others neck - is she "addicted" to the blood in the sheaths of the new growth?

We are expecting delivery of our new cube soon and so seperating them is not really possible - not in the long term at least.

I have posted this message once already tho' can't find it now and haven't had any response to date - assume I must've done something wrong ...

Thanking you all in advance,

Pat & Steve

My chickens haven't as yet gone through a moult so I have no experience there.

It might be worth spraying the picked on chicken with some anti-peck spray to stop the habit. Ukadex seems to be a popular choice and you can buy it *here* or Johnsons anti-Peck Spray from the Domestic Wildfowl Trust They also sell gentian violet for pecking wounds and Flubenvet which is the favoured wormer. Read*this* for more information.

I hope this helps.