Diana1

featherloss, broodyness, leg sore? no eggs

Hello Its ages since I had the time to chat on omlet but I've got some worries. I have three hens. Angel no longer lays but is loved all the same. Pirate II is laying again now after two months of broodiness and Speckeldy Rose is causing concern. She too went broody for two months, june and july. She appears to be moulting which could explain her lack of laying. She is a speckled sussex and these have white legs but hers seem a bit less reptile like and I can't work out if that is the way they are meant to be or if she's got sore legs and the scales have fallen off.

Dispite the possible moult going on I worry about the fact that all three have bald patches on their underside. I have treated with redmite powder. What else should I use and what could I use for the sore leg, if it is a sore leg.

I've looked at the disease section but don't know the name of the disease only the symptom.

Also because two of the three are not laying I'm missing my egg supply and I'm thinking of introducing a new point of lay hen. That would mean that I would have 4 hens in the eglu once she's been slowly introduced. Its ok to have 4 in the eglu isn't it?

You can certainly fit 4 hens into an Eglu comfortably, but you would need to extend the run, as the standard run would not be big enough.

It is not a good idea to introduce one hen to an established flock of three though, as it would most likely be badly bullied.

Article on managing intros **here**.

Are you thinking your hen might have Scaley Leg Mite?

Article **here** . Scroll down a bit.

Thanks. Excellent photos.

I feel much better now. I don't think its scaley leg mite, it is probably just part of moulting. I will have a closer look tomorrow and take some photos.

You're probably right about introducing one to an established flock of three.

I'll just have to be patient regarding the egg production.

I'm not ruthless enough to get rid of a non- layer like Angel.