Rhapsody

How many goats? (pics)

I've just stumbled across this post. We're considering (well, myself and the children) getting one or two young nannie goats. My gran used to keep goats and they have the most exciting personalities. They're lots of fun, plus I love goats milk and cheese, and I think my boys would too. (Still need to convince hubby that only full billies pong...)

We haven't got a huge garden, but when we get the cube, we can use the present chicken enclosure to keep a couple of goats. It's about 6m by 6m with a wood shed in there for them to sleep (which is larger than my gran's goats had). They'll also have access to a nice hedge.

Can you advise on a good breed? I've heard something like Sannaan (spelling?) are good for friendlyness, docility and milk. Any advice welcome as I personally will be new to them.

Thank you.

Love the names, such a lovely, herd? of goats. That play area for them is such a good idea, I am sure half the trouble goats get into is because they are bored.

What fun it must be to watch them all jumping about on it all. Thanks for posting the pictures. :D

I've just stumbled across this post. We're considering (well, myself and the children) getting one or two young nannie goats. My gran used to keep goats and they have the most exciting personalities. They're lots of fun, plus I love goats milk and cheese, and I think my boys would too. (Still need to convince hubby that only full billies pong...)

We haven't got a huge garden, but when we get the cube, we can use the present chicken enclosure to keep a couple of goats. It's about 6m by 6m with a wood shed in there for them to sleep (which is larger than my gran's goats had). They'll also have access to a nice hedge.

Can you advise on a good breed? I've heard something like Sannaan (spelling?) are good for friendlyness, docility and milk. Any advice welcome as I personally will be new to them.

Thank you.

I'm by no means a goat expert, but in that space a small breed would be best. As for the milk thing, you have to be commited to removing the kids at a few days old and either eating them or bottle-rearing them if you want milk (there is a really good article in this month's Country Smallholder) which is something to bear in mind. Tell your hubby castrated goats smell less than chickens, and better than most men's trainers!

Ooh only just seen this post. I have always had a bit of a thing about goats. I grew up in a market town which also had a livestock market on a Wednesday which My mum used to take us to sometimes. I always made a beeline for the kids and she had trouble getting me away from them. I can't imagine ever having enough space to justify them though :mrgreen: What gorgeous fellows

I'm by no means a goat expert, but in that space a small breed would be best. As for the milk thing, you have to be commited to removing the kids at a few days old and either eating them or bottle-rearing them if you want milk (there is a really good article in this month's Country Smallholder) which is something to bear in mind.

Ana's flock, You can use Lamlac, which is a powdered milk substitute (intended for lambs) which works perfectly for kids too. We sometimes used goats milk, watered down with warm water too.

From when they start producing milk, if you milk them everyday, twice/3 times a day, they will produce enough milk which is being taken, and they will slow down, when you slow down (or naturally after a whilet!).

I've bottle fed quite a few lambs and kids, working at a childrens farm, and at home when I went Lambing and looked after two over night :mrgreen:

I'm not an expert either :lol: but just PM me if you need anyhelp.

I agree a small breed would be best :)