Rhapsody

How many goats? (pics)

About time I posted up some goat pics. The old boys Justin and Colin you may know from here have been with us nearly a year and my HUSBAND said we should get some more. I booked two but came home with 3 :oops: as he was going spare for half price :wink: They are 3 1/2 months old.

New boys Hammond top left, Clarkson top right and May lower floor

DSC00139.jpg

And again in a group

DSC00138.jpg

With Justin and Colin in foreground having nothing to do with them. Note Elder Son displaying his handiwork- he built them the pallet playground.

DSC00140.jpg

Goats are so much fun, they should be prescribed for people with depression, I love it when they joust (with no horns this is tough) and when they play 'Shove off the Pallet' on their playframe. The older boys now freerange and go visit the ponies in the field and lark about with the dogs, they even come out down the field with me when I get the quadbike out to do jobs- cant wait til the new boys can too!

Incidentally compared to chooks goats are so civilised about newcomers, they shared the shed from night one.

They really dont serve a purpose Ginette (bit like my cat) they do eat brambles and dock leaves (they dont graze, they browse) but mainly they are a comedic turn. And they have had their wedding vegetables removed so they are Whethers, not Billys.

Oh Rhapsody, they are gorgeous boys! 8) I love goats - very entertaining and full of personality 8)

When I was younger my Mum had a nanny (don't know the breed, but she was a big white one for milking), called April. Once when I was bent over pulling some weeds, she jumped up onto my back to reach the tree above me! :shock: She loved my oldest son, age 2 at the time, let him do anything to her. But she would butt our golden retrievers if they started getting silly! :lol:

They look gorgeous :D

I would love to keep goats - much more interesting than sheep.

I notice they have ear tags. Are they subject to DEFRA rules and regulations etc.

Yup you have to do Movement of Livestock forms fill in journey time rest stops etc as if you were loading cattle onto a truck............then you put 3 tiny pygmy goats in a dog crate in the back of your car 8)

@ Lesley I have my pygmy boys behind sheep fencing and they are fine. The ones that free range in the day have collars on in case they wander too far.

Thanks for you interest guys. Glad you like 'em!

At the risk of offending (which I do not mean to do) aren't they smelly? Only I LOVE goats, but all the boy goats I've ever seen, well, I could smell them before I could see them really :oops: I was told that they can wee over their own backs supposedly to mark territory and stuff, but sometimes just because they can (must be a bloke thing :roll: ) Or has the vegetable removal thing stopped all that.

AND, (multiple question time) just being nosey, would you not have wanted girly goats for milk and stuff like that?

Mrs B

At the risk of offending (which I do not mean to do) aren't they smelly? Only I LOVE goats, but all the boy goats I've ever seen, well, I could smell them before I could see them really :oops: I was told that they can wee over their own backs supposedly to mark territory and stuff, but sometimes just because they can (must be a bloke thing :roll: ) Or has the vegetable removal thing stopped all that.

AND, (multiple question time) just being nosey, would you not have wanted girly goats for milk and stuff like that?

Mrs B

Ok Mrs B, you nosey gal you.... :wink:

Whethers dont smell, the Vegetable removal does indeed sort that out, they just have a pleasant goaty smell no worse than pony pong :lol:

As for having boy goats not girls I just wanted the fun of having these enchanting little guys without having a Nanny because...

# I would have had girlie to get pregnant very year to get milk (then we're into Billy Goat territory with horns and yes appauling smell, kidding, weaning...)

# What would I do with an extra goat a year? If I served up roast kid to my lot I would be out of the family, I've already got a milker if I've got its mum and DEFRA rules mean you have to vaccinate ear tag and do 200 pages of paperwork to sell one.

# The only person who touches milk in my house is me in my tea and cooking, my sons would rather drink ditchwater and I dont believe in breakfast cereal.

So all in all I thought boys were best!

I have just spotted this. I missed it. Lovley goats Rhapsody. I love naughty goats that eat stuff they shouldnt! They have fab characters.

I wish I liked Goats cheese and milk then they would earn their keep. When I have room I might just get a couple for the hell of it anyway.

My son is after Alpacas :roll: (speaking of not earning their keep)I have said he will have to learn to spin and knit first.

About time I posted up some goat pics. The old boys Justin and Colin you may know from here have been with us nearly a year and my HUSBAND said we should get some more. I booked two but came home with 3 :oops: as he was going spare for half price :wink: They are 3 1/2 months old.

New boys Hammond top left, Clarkson top right and May lower floor

DSC00139.jpg

And again in a group

DSC00138.jpg

With Justin and Colin in foreground having nothing to do with them. Note Elder Son displaying his handiwork- he built them the pallet playground.

DSC00140.jpg

Goats are so much fun, they should be prescribed for people with depression, I love it when they joust (with no horns this is tough) and when they play 'Shove off the Pallet' on their playframe. The older boys now freerange and go visit the ponies in the field and lark about with the dogs, they even come out down the field with me when I get the quadbike out to do jobs- cant wait til the new boys can too!

Incidentally compared to chooks goats are so civilised about newcomers, they shared the shed from night one.

Ohh Rhapsody.. I'm sure I saw the little tan and white one at Luke's when I went to get my girls! Very cute! :D

they are just adorable! As someone who doesn't drink milk of any kind can I come and be adopted into your family and play with vegetable removed goats please! :)

My husband would love them, we've already said when we sell this place, because we'll have made a bit on it.. :roll: we will buy a smaller house but with much more land, I will have me some more animals then!