Sandychick

Could it be gapeworm???

Some weeks ago, I posted on here for some advice as Amber was looking ill and distressed, stretching her neck and shaking her head. Pepper also had rattley breathing a day or two after this. They have both been fine for weeks except they are laying hardly any eggs between them (which has baffled me for a while).

I’ve noticed Amber has had rattley breathing for the last 2 days but not all the time. Yesterday she looked quite under the weather for about an hour (tail down, standing still) or looking like she was trying to cough. Pepper also occasionally rattles a bit.

I’m wondering if this could be gapeworm? But I am a bit confused as this would mean they have had this for a few weeks and I would have thought it would be quite serious by now if that was the case?? They have been wormed but only with x-verm. Does it sound like I should do an emergency trip to the Domestic Fowl Trust for some Flubenvet tomorrow???

Any advise / opinions much appreciated…….I am a bit worried that I might have spotted symptoms a bit late.

I thought one of ours had gape worm a couple of weeks ago... i now think it was her way of dealing with a cold and gammy eye as two others have a cold now.... stuff on order for them, arriving tuesday... citridical????

They are all pickles and need watching as they have their own little responses to different illnesses....

How much do i put in there water???? any ideas....

Got the flubenvet today! Dose for today has been happily scoffed on some sweetcorn :D

A double dose of Flubenvet, with an egg withdrawal during the course of tretment and for one week after is the normal reatment for Gapeworm.

Thank you for this info Egluntine - I wouldn't have noticed the requirement for a double dose if you hadn't mentioned it. No problem with the egg withdrawal though.......they haven't layed a thing for 3 days now :cry: