jackowilkinson

Weak Chicken

Hi, one of my isa-brown chickens which has been perfectly healthy until now, has stopped laying eggs and is extremely weak. Also around the vent is very dirty, in some places quite yellow (her house is clean as she is the only one in there). She was in with nine other chickens but i wanted to see if she was laying eggs (which she isn't). Could it be that she is just moulting? All the other chcikens run up for s"Ooops, word censored!"s, but she dosen't.

All help would be really appreciated. Should i give her Baytril?

Have you checked her for lice and mites?

Has she been wormed recently?

All these factors could stop her laying and make her weak, and the worms could be the cause of the dirty bum.

I wouldn't give the anitbiotics, which will have been prescribed for another animal, unless you are sure of what you are doing. She might not have an infection.

Generally if one is infested with worms, the others will be too.

They don't catch them directly from each other, but rather through the life cycle of the worm, which involves being picked up by the hen, the worms developing and their eggs being expelled by the hen and picked up again and so on.

Slugs, earthworms etc act as intermediate hosts, so any free ranging hen is bound to pick up a few.

If she is really poorly, I would be inclined to pop her down to the vet.

Yeah She is really ill. I'll take her first thing on Monday. Thank you for all your help.

Is there anything i can do to keep her going, she's been sat in her house all day today, i've left the door open for her, and given her some s"Ooops, word censored!"s. Where can i get a good wormer from if verm-x is no good?

Is there an agricultural merchants or smallholding type shop nearby?

I would carry on with the verm-x if you can't get hold of anything else, till you can get to the vet.

I would give her mash or pellets mixed with water till it is porridgey and if you have some, add a dollop or two of probiotic yoghurt.

Encourage her to drink.

Yes, i tried in countrywide today, but all they had was verm-x. She has some probiotic powder in her food, which i bought from the domestic fowl trust. Will still mix it with water though. (i'm assuming she won't need probiotic youghurt as well). She hasn't laid an egg since she's been in isolation (for 7 days), but she definatly isn't egg bound.