HasSumAmi Posted November 3, 2008 Share Posted November 3, 2008 Hi All My neighbour stopped by last night and was saying how much she missed the gentle cooing of the chickens since the fox came and did his worst. This rather spurred me on and hopefully we will get up to Thornes this weekend. The big question is: How Many? Given we have a cube and an eglu it would be easy to say 14… but I can only really cope with 6-8 maximum. I work long hours and they dont get too much free ranging although we have a good size walk-in run but I don’t want to overcrowd it. I also like to check them all over at least once a week and more than 8 would be too daunting to do that. However given that I want to have a regular supply of eggs and realise that they are not egg laying machines from birth to death, but have a natural slowing down, should I just get four now and four in a year? That had been my plan, as my old girls were coming up to a year and I have planned to get four new ones; but Mr Fox put pay to that chicken family planning. So what would be the general advice?: 4 now, 4 in a year (this requires patience!) 6-8 now (and just see what happens, but risk 8 menopausal hens which I will love of course, but who wont give me any eggs and I wont despatch them, or have them for stew!!) Take care Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 3, 2008 Share Posted November 3, 2008 I'd go for 4 now and 4 in a year. Hang on to your Eglu for slow intros. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redhotchick Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 I'm with Egluntine. Patience is Prudence's companion! I have 2 and was planning to get another 2 after the first year (which will be next February) at the moment I'm thinking I could leave it a bit longer, but things can change, Especially when you start looking, see what takes your fancy! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 I agree - 4 now and 4 in a couple of years, or whenever egg production starts slowing too much. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yolky Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 I agree with the 4 now 4 in a year too. I am going to be doing the same but three now three in a year or two when eggies start slowing down. It will also give you more chooks to look forward to Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 Get 4 now, and if you really can't last, it means you can get 4 in the spring time Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
alih Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 totally agree - lucky you having an eglu too so intros can be done properly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 I planned to get 4 now and 4 later.... it didn't quite work like that! 4 turned into 6 and then 6 turned into 9 how do they do that? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 I planned to get 4 now and 4 later.... it didn't quite work like that! 4 turned into 6 and then 6 turned into 9 how do they do that? It's called chicken maths Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hen Watch Posted November 4, 2008 Share Posted November 4, 2008 Two thoughts, shame to have a cube and not fill it up with chickens. On the other hand, my 4 Omlet girls are almost 2 years old and have just decided to slow down on laying. Getting an egg a day from 4 hens so my lot will be free loaders soon. I don't have room for more so I will keep them till they turn their little chicken feet skywards. So off to the shops to buy eggs..... So on this basis, I personally would go for 4 now, then stagger another 4 in a while for a more continuous egg supply. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JEAN Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 I jumped straight in and got 8 as the new intros sounded so scary, I've only just started to consider what will happen when they get older. I guess if it becomes an issue then I will have to invest in another eglu for intros & more capacity. Maybe 4 and 4 is a better idea?? Still I'm glad I have the 8 that I have Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chooklady Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 I bought 6 and then 2 more. 4 and 4 seems logical but I need lots of eggs now, I have 3 teenagers, and the eldest eats eggs like they are going out of fashion. So I will worry about them slowing down when it happens perhaps I will have moved to the countryside by then and will have loads of chickens, I can dream can't I!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
pistachio Posted November 5, 2008 Share Posted November 5, 2008 i got 6 straight away for eglu cube and it's a good number - plenty fo room but not too many to pick up and check while they are free ranging. I'm glad I got mine together and didn't have to introduce them slowly because I got them all from Omlet at the same time. I do think having the eglu is great if one gets ill or bulliied or anything Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HasSumAmi Posted November 6, 2008 Author Share Posted November 6, 2008 Thanks everybody... I am going to try and restrain myself to four! Although hubby said last night: "But what about me then?" (There are five of us.) So I said, "OK you can have a chicken too." Then he said, "But five is an odd number. We should get six otherwise one will be lonely." Quick question though - can I get 17 week old hens and 19 week old hens? The size difference wont be too much will it? You see, Thornes has blue egg layers and Crofters has white hens... but they are different ages. Take care all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 Although hubby said last night: "But what about me then?" (There are five of us.) So I said, "OK you can have a chicken too." Then he said, "But five is an odd number. We should get six otherwise one will be lonely." Can I swap your hubby for mine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 Although hubby said last night: "But what about me then?" (There are five of us.) So I said, "OK you can have a chicken too." Then he said, "But five is an odd number. We should get six otherwise one will be lonely." Can I swap your hubby for mine clearly Shaun doesn't read the forum, mostin! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 the 2 week age gap won't matter...so thats not a problem either Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted November 6, 2008 Share Posted November 6, 2008 Although hubby said last night: "But what about me then?" (There are five of us.) So I said, "OK you can have a chicken too." Then he said, "But five is an odd number. We should get six otherwise one will be lonely." Can I swap your hubby for mine clearly Shaun doesn't read the forum, mostin! I showed him this post to point out what he would drive me to is he didn't agree to more chooks He says, hello. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...