Twickenham chickens

Buying supplies for run making

Hi all,

We've decided to build a permanent run for the chooks in one corner of the garden. The idea is to use chicken mesh and wooden posts (no more than 4ft high) with a gate and some sort of roof, probably made from a removeable mesh frame for easy cleaning.

Here's where we're going to build the run, its an area of about 18 ft by 4 ft, to the right of the path and up to the shed and more out of shot to the right of the image.

DSC00825_001.jpg

Anyway to my question, where's the best and cheapest place to buy wooden poles and chicken mesh? Also any tips from other run builders, i've read most of the previous postings about run making.

Thanks in advanced

Hi Steve, I would just add that the soft, fruit cage netting, is excellent because it is black and so hardly visible and if used as a roof I think a fox would find it more difficult than something firmer - not sure but that's how I see it.

We used the bilders merchants for the posts and wire netting and Countrywide for the fruit cage netting.

Our run is made from 1m high fruit cage netting as I'm always around to make sure there aren't any foxes around and they're in bed by dusk anyway. They don't try to fly over the top because there's nothing to perch on to launch themselves off. They're happy as Larry! For the lawn, LSH has made a folding triangular pen for them which has a wooden frame and fruit cage netting stapled to it. When they are on the lawn, I can keep them contained away from the veggies and when they go back into their permanent run, it folds up flat out of the way.

Thanks Kate and Lesley,

My only problem with using netting is the fear of foxes. Because I’m building the run only about 3-4 ft high I’m afraid a fox might not see the netting and just try and jump into the run, either from standing next to it, climbing the fence or walking across the shed.

It would make sense using netting both financially and practically, as it’s much cheaper than mesh and easy to remove for cleaning. The surround will definitely be made using wooden posts and wire mesh nail gunned with a gate somewhere along the line for cleaning and letting the chooks out.

We use fruit netting when they are free ranging in the garden to keep them penned in to a certain area. I wouldn't use this if I was leaving them alone in the garden as I expect a fox would very easily claw it's way through.

I think you have to go with whatever is going to bring you peace of mind and what is right for you. If you are planning on leaving the chooks in the pen alone, I would almost certainly go for industrial strength stuff, these foxes stop at nothing!

Can we see some pictures of the end result pleae - we too are considering a similar construction in our garden to give our girls more space to roam around.

The things you'll do for a chicken eh? :D

Can we see some pictures of the end result pleae - we too are considering a similar construction in our garden to give our girls more space to roam around.

Thanks for that Gina, I think i'll have to construct something out of wire netting that can be removed.

We will be leaving the chooks while we are at work. They will still get to roam in the evenings and weekends, the pen will give them more space and more things to do (we'll plant some robust plants/veg in their for them to use for shelter and food) and i will also feel less guilty about leaving them in their all day while at work too.

They should have about 3 times more space compared to the eglu run. Will post pictures as soon as the pen is completed

We've built a semi-permanent run in our garden for the chickens, but I wanted something sturdy as I let them run in there when I'm in the house and so might not always actually be watching them. We used 6ft tall trellis style fencing, and added soft fruit netting as the "roof". We also staplegunned chicken wire to the trellis so I could have an Omlet style bit sticking out around it, and have now plonked grow bags and pots along it so that my beans can grow up the trellis and the grow bags provide more protection against digging foxes. When we went shopping for materials though I found that chicken wire and soft fruit netting was significantly cheaper at Wilkinsons than at any of the big DIY places, so I'd recommend checking them out if you have one nearby. The only problem is that they seem to carry a fairly limited range, so it might not be possible to get everything you need there.

So far my run seems fairly sturdy and safe, but I do worry about those pesky foxes. I know we have them locally, but it's such a dilemma, bang them up in the Eglu, know they're safe but have limited space, or build your own affair, give them the space and hope the enclosure is safe enough.

I'm goung for the space and happy lives as long as there's someone around for them, and keeping fingers crossed. I'd be devastated if they got foxed.

Steve, is there any reason you are keeping it at 4' ? We used 6' netting and then used 4' netting as well but the bottom 1' goes down a bit anf then out like the skirt at the bottom of the eglu run. We put a slab path all around over this bit of netting so any fox would have some serious digging to do to get in or under.

You could also keep the eglu run attached so that you can just leave the girls safely in there if you are not going to be around. Kate and a couple of others do this.

We have a run that isn't secure but the Omlet run is attached to the Eglu still. The bigger section is pushed up over the top of the smaller section near the Eglu and when we go out in the evening, we pull it back into position and secure the sections with clips so that they can be contained inside safely.

Steve, I'm so glad that you posted this as a few of us are in a similar position. My main reason to build somewhere safe that is big enough for 4, a bit like Lesley's Eglu towers.

At the moment, mine are locked in 2 Eglu runs at night, then free range all day (a risk but garden usually fairly secure).

However, if I'm away I can't expect a hensitter to be confident to not lose them in the garden, I'd rather know they were contained. But to go from loose together all day, every day, to just in eglus & separated seems unkind & distressing (the change in circumstance I mean, an Eglu run is fine for 2 if that's their home).

Secondly, I've found that the 2 pairs call for each other in the morning, it would be better to have them all in together :roll:

So would be very interested in any pics!

Thanks for Wilko's tip Gina!

We're still deciding what to incorporate or not into the permanent hen garden, could be a while!

Good luck with your, Steve.

What sort of strength wire / netting is the minimum to rule out biting or clawing? Is a roof safe at 6' with fruit netting only do you think?

Fox proof runs were impossible pre eglu. Foxes can bite/break through normal chicken wire. If they are going to be on their own during the day then you might want to think about a wooden framed structure with horizontal pieces at ground and upper level and do consider at least 6ft high. That plastic covered stuff you find round tennis courts etc should resist foxes but you'll need to incorporate an equivalent of the anti-burrowing skirt the eglu has. We used to bury wire vertically underground but once had a fox get through. They can climb so some sort of roof would be a good idea.

Best of luck :roll:

Thanks for all the replies and questions.

I would like to make the run about 4ft high because its on a raised section in our garden and although we love the chooks to bits we don't want an eye sore in the garden, also i think that 3-4ft is more than sufficient for chickens - not even six foot could stop a fox!

I'm going to bury the wire mesh a few inches below the surface, as the proposed area (see pic at top of page) for the run is bordered by a fence and path so no fox is going to be able to use a road drill (are they?).

I think to be on the safe side i'm going to use mesh for the roof too. I'll attach it to some frames no bigger than 6ft x 6ft, i'll need about 3 of these. The roof section can then be placed on top of the run and held in place via some metal hooks and loops, maybe i might hinge it too!

I'll certainly place pics in the gallery and i'll try and keep a list of costs too (and best places to buy supplies) We have veg in the proposed area so i won't be building for a few months yet but once i do i'll let everyone know.

Thanks for the replies, any more question feel free to ask..