Autism

Chickens save the day!

As a family weve been thinking of keeping chickens for a while but the time never seemed right, know what I mean?

We are currently in a massive legal wrangle with our LEA about a senior school placement for our son, Joe, who has Autism. It has taken over our lives for the past year and nearly tore us apart! :cry:

Three weeks ago we decided "what the hell" "there will never be the right time" so we phoned Omlet the next day.

We can't tell you what a difference it has made to us as a family. :D

The girls have given us a whole new lease of life ( I know people think were mad but I'm sure some of you will understand :wink: )

Here's to a stress free ( if it's possible ) life 8) Jane x

8):wink: Know eggsactly what you mean Jane ..... they certainly take your mind off things, and give you something nice to focus on, even provide !egg! 's as a thankyou for letting them trash your garden :roll::shock: .

When I cleaned out Ginger and Mrs Snowy yesterday ... my stress levels plummeted while chatting to them as they had a little "free run in the garden" , and then they helped while I untangled the honeysuckle which had roamed a little too far. :wink: . The kids love them and when friends come to tea, they love to show them off, and give away any spare !egg! 's.

So sorry to hear about the LEA problems. I've been through all that too and there is usually light at the end of the tunnel. Tom is now very happily settled in secondary school with a few hours a week extra support and he's come on wonderfully. We had a huge LEA wrangle with my other son who was severely speech and language delayed due to glue ear so he started school when he was 5 instead of 4 (August birthday so what the hell!) but we've had the LEA breathing down our necks since he started school to move him up a year to where he should be. After 6 years, they've decided he's fine where he is and he can move up to secondary school in September with the children he's been with since day one! Isn't bureaucracy wonderful and doesn't it make you want to bang your head against the wall!

Good luck with your battle - I hope you get a good outcome like we did in the end!

Good Luck with your son Jane - my friend has autism and has struggled most of her life with others peoples' perception of it.

We too were going through a stressful time (not to go into the gory details, but we are trying for a baby and are having a pretty rough time) and wondered whether to go ahead with the chickens. Having made the decision in May, we were just sorry we didn't do it earlier. They are such a welcome distraction and I love spending time with them in the garden. I usually sit with a book around tea time, let them free range and have some 'me' time into the bargain.

I really do love them to bits.

I agree they are fantastic stress busters, the window cleaner came last night and he sat with Ginger on his knee for half an hour he said he loved cleaning my windows and sitting with the chickens to wind down......He did eventually get round to cleaning the windows after he had been on the trampoline with Emily and fed the chooks with sweetcorn........... :lol::lol:

Since getting the chooks I've gone from being an amalgam of Victor Meldrew and Basil Fawlty to being Dylan from the Magic Roundabout; they allow me to do some serious chillin' out. 8) My wife, Sarah, may not agree but I'm much more chilled out since the arrival of the chooks.

I agree with all of you. My stresses are trivial compared to some of you, but I've been experiencing quite ridiculous tensions at work over really silly things, and I regularly get home all wound up and irritable. I find though that if I go straight out to the chickens just sitting and watching them with a cup of tea really relaxes me (me with the tea, not them :) ). I also moan to them about the gripes of the day, they respond with a few clucks and a lot of poo (an eminently sensible response in my opinion :) ), and then I've got it all of my chest and hubby doesn't need to suffer the stories.

I love my chickens :):):)

Thanx for that everyone!

I always believe that talking about your problems helps! (Dave says I talk too much)

Sometimes I have been known to be a little too honest :oops:

Everyone has their own problems and it's nice to know that your not on your own :D

Jane x

Jane,

You're definitely not on your own with chickens. Mine follow me wherever I go in the garden- Onion is lucky to still have her head on her shoulders after her attempts to closely inspect my work weeding the garden last night, she literally couldn't have got closer, silly girl :roll: . They follow into the house too given half a chance :)

And when the chickens are roosting, or otherwise engaged with foraging, laying or feeding, there's the forum :wink: .

My girls bring me such great happiness. I took my class of 30 kids(aged7) to Marwell zoo today, which was fab but extremely exhausting. Getting home and sitting in the garden watching my girls free range is the best relaxation technique I know.

Now I have to log off to make the dinner- back to the real world!!!!

Jane, you described that feeling so well, how even when we have all-consuming problems, such as your LEA, the chickens enable us to escape into a different world. 8) Very glad for you that you went ahead when you did (me too!) to give you all such contentment.

We had a major problem a while back that nearly tore us apart. At the time, over 4 years, I could barely think or talk about anything else, which made it like a living nightmare. With hindsight, I should have talked it through with a couple of trusted people then "put it in a compartment", a box only to be opened at appropriate times. Sometimes talking helps chrystalize our thoughts, but shutting it out sometimes, keeps us balanced. Chickens definitely help us do that. Balanced/barmy, something like that. :wink: Have I been rambling again? :P