mictogirl

Sleeping in the nestbox?

Been out and measured the litter tray and it is:

17 x 12.5 inches and about 3.5 inches deep.

OH thought I was "off me little ol' rocker" :shock: when I was outside taking pics of the cats old litter tray in the Eglu but I don`t care!! Here they are:

DSC00148_edited.jpg

DSC00146_edited.jpg

The straw is in the next box just incase they are earlier developers and decide they want to lay an egg!

:lol: Hope these help!

that's fantastic thank you for that! with the washup bowls I have to put weights in the bottom to steady them when they are on the side, being full width has it NOT been a problem? Going to give it a go tommorrow. will get OH to redoe the single bar as wil fit your set up just as well! thanks again. :D:clap:

No Weights in mine just straw and chickens. Had no problems with the litter tray tipping over as it fits very snuggly in the gap at the back of the Eglu. I think Stella is perchng on the edge of it making it top heavy and still doesn`t move! Poo picking is increased but I don`t mind!

I know this is an old thread, but our former chickens used to sleep in the nesting box of our old coop - made quite the mess of both the nesting boxes and the eggs.

With our new chickens in our new Eglu Cube I had the partition door closed for their first few months hoping they would learn that's not for sleeping, but once they were ready to lay and I opened it one of them already began sleeping in there and the others started to intermittently mess about in there during the night.  Opening and closing the partition door each morning and night solved that problem but created an all new ones - our girls laying early in the morning often meant I was opening the door too late and they had already laid on the roosting bars, if I was home late/out then they'd already starting nestling into the nestbox and soiling it up, etc.

To that end I installed a second Auto Door on to the partition wall - solved all our dramas, beautifully clean eggs and nestbox ever since 😀  I've documented the process for doing this, link is in my signature below 👍