mictogirl

Sleeping in the nestbox?

Yet another newbie question... :lol:

Does it do any harm for the girls to sleep in the nestbox? I've seen a few posts on here mentioning they do it, is it OK? One thing I do like about our ark (there's not much!) is that there is a little door between the nestbox and perch you can close at night to keep them out (by the time I come from home from work they have already gone to bed, so we usually have to lift 1 or 2 of them out of the nestbox and onto the perch before closing it off!)

This means I guess they don't sit on and break any eggs they have laid during the day and also don't get loads of poo in there overnight, right?

The thing is though, at least one of them (sometimes 2) has usually laid an egg by the time I let them out in the morning (no later than 7:15am usually, it's still pretty dark but they are all awake) from where they sit on the perch - I've not had any broken ones yet, but I'm wondering if this is a good idea? Should I leave the nest box open for them to sleep in if they like, so they can also get to it in the morning when they want to lay (as hubby says 'Busting for an egg!' :lol: )? I guess I'd still have to move them out of there in the evenings anyway to collect the eggs!

Any ideas / advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Laura.

I don't really think it matters where they sleep - I reckon the design of the eglu means they are more likely to sleep in (or perched on) the nestbox, resulting in piles of poo but in your seltup you may find because they have to actually go "next door" they might not bother.

If I were you, I'd just leave the door open all the time. If you find pooey eggs, you can always go back to closing it :) .

I have a cube and nine girlies and more often than not I find 5 of them squooshed up together in the nest box every single night - you'd think they'd know by now that they're gonna get turfed out every single night - but does that bother them? Does it heck! Thought about closing it off, but we get early layers too so it's not really an option. :roll:

I have a cube and 3 hens. They always sleep in the nestbox and personally I don't blame them! I line it with newspaper and straw and then just pull it out and burn it or compost it each day. It means that if they lay early they're not shut out of the nestbox, also in this cold weather it must be so much warmer in there all snuggled up together.

OOps I put mine in the nestbox now at night sorry rephrase that, I dont lift them out of the nestbox at night now because I worry about them in these freezing temps in the main bit. They are so snug and I poo pick the nest box each morning just in case they lay an egg one day. :D I'm glad you asked the question.

Mine sleep wherever they like in their cube - sometimes there is a bit of poo in the nestbox, on other days there is none. I don't find it a problem, but none of mine are laying yet. I suppose that's when it would become an issue. Meanwhile, I'm just happy for them to keep warm however they can.

Well thirteen days into this chicken keeping lark and I have resigned myself to the fact that my three ladies are sleeping in the nesting box for good.

Well all three try to get into the nestbox of the eglu but normally Stella is just perched on the edge, while Gin and OSP are all cozy in the straw. It does confine the poo to one area though!!

I think Stella would use the roosting bars but she likes to be with the other two! I might put some straw over them for her.

BTW my glug was fozen this am so have put the ping pong balls in (crazy coloured ones for cats) as suggested by Christian in another thread.

Shame this cold weather doesnt freeze their poop inside the eglu. Poo picking would be a doddle!

I supose it just proves that the Eglu is well insulated!

Also talked into other half into building them a permanent run, with dooe big enough for me to get through, table for Eglu, guttering for water butt and most importantly a Chicken door! YAY, not bad considering he was against chickens and I quote " i am having nothing to do with them!". I saw him talking to Stella and feeding her apple!!!!!

I have a wooden house for my three and they all sleep in the same nesting box compartment! When I go up to check them and shut their door they are all moaning away - not sure if that's because they are squashed or if its because I am there. I keep showing them the perch but they are having none of it. Maybe if I hang some food from the ceiling they might be tempted to jump up . . . . But it's not really a problem them sleeping in the nesting box. Just a pain to have to keep cleaning it out everyday.

Ok......... so they are all out of the nesting box and sleeping on straw on top of the roosting bars now. Poor old stella thought she was in heaven with all that straw to herself but now the other two have cottoned on she is on the edge again.

Poo picking was interesting this morning as they had pushed all the straw through the bars and into the poop tray.

Plan B - put news paper on top of the bars to keep the straw in place and see what happens.

I have one stubborn chook who has just started sleeping in the nestbox...no idea why...perhaps she just "wants to be alone darling". Anyway, I have taken to putting a football in the two nestboxes in the mid afternoon, and then taking it out when I shut them up for the night as I don't think she moves once she has resigned herself to roosting on the roosting bars. We've had the chooks since April and this one girl has only just moved into a room of her own. I wondered if she had sore feet or was feeling a bit broody, but no obvious signs of either.

Ok......... so they are all out of the nesting box and sleeping on straw on top of the roosting bars now. Poor old stella thought she was in heaven with all that straw to herself but now the other two have cottoned on she is on the edge again.

Poo picking was interesting this morning as they had pushed all the straw through the bars and into the poop tray.

Plan B - put news paper on top of the bars to keep the straw in place and see what happens.

I took out the rear roosting bars & put 2 small washing up bowls in for them to nest in(depends how many you have. You have to plat around woth sizes. I can get one small oblong with a larger square one. I put old floor tile in the bottom to weight them down. then hubby made a roosting bar to go behind nest box & just accross front of 2 bowls.

I took out the rear roosting bars & put 2 small washing up bowls in for them to nest in(depends how many you have. You have to plat around woth sizes. I can get one small oblong with a larger square one. I put old floor tile in the bottom to weight them down. then hubby made a roosting bar to go behind nest box & just accross front of 2 bowls.

OOOH pics please, I have a small shallow trug that I was going to do this with but wasn`t sure if it was a good idea

Second link worked, great idea and very handy OH to have built a new perch.

I went for it last night and took out the large roosting bars at back of eglu and put a cat litter tray in with straw. Wandered up the garden about eightish last night and all three cosied up inside.

Took a look this morning and the nestbox is clean and ready for eggs (bit of a wait as they are only 14 weeksish) and minimal poo picking required around the litter tray!

Going to give shredded paper a try as we have LOADS!!!! And off to Pets at Home to see if they have easibed or similar as someone has the runs!

Someone suggested Flax bedding, and I am now a fan, it is soft (nice for nesting AND very absorbant for the wet poohs. Didn't cost a lot either. Being daft I put some shredded newspaper on top cos they like to play dressing up with it whilst laying an egg. :) Also for me phsychologically, I feel better as paper has good insulating properties to keep em snug in the cold, but it can get wet, which isn't so good. How well did the litter tray fit? piccys from you also please? fore some daft reason, one is sleeping in the wash up bowl the other is sort of roosting on the middle over the top of other girl, probly to keep warmer though that girl had ALWAYS previosly snuggled in the nest box!

When we have this roosting bar bit sorted I will order some plastic ones. Omlet tell me they are solid plastic so can be cut to make new ones ok. The wooden ones are really only prototypes.

On another forum they say 2inches x 2 inches is right size, so we made one and 3 days they didn't roost at all. then put the one you can see & they do both, well did until it got really cold this week!

Someone suggested Flax bedding, and I am now a fan, it is soft (nice for nesting AND very absorbant for the wet poohs. Didn't cost a lot either. Being daft I put some shredded newspaper on top cos they like to play dressing up with it whilst laying an egg. :) Also for me phsychologically, I feel better as paper has good insulating properties to keep em snug in the cold, but it can get wet, which isn't so good. How well did the litter tray fit? piccys from you also please? fore some daft reason, one is sleeping in the wash up bowl the other is sort of roosting on the middle over the top of other girl, probly to keep warmer though that girl had ALWAYS previosly snuggled in the nest box!

When we have this roosting bar bit sorted I will order some plastic ones. Omlet tell me they are solid plastic so can be cut to make new ones ok. The wooden ones are really only prototypes.

On another forum they say 2inches x 2 inches is right size, so we made one and 3 days they didn't roost at all. then put the one you can see & they do both, well did until it got really cold this week!

Will take pics tomorrow, as too dark now. The litter tray fits perfect with just an inch gap either side. Had to poo pick there too but think it is a better idea. And if by some twist of fate they decide they want to try to bars they still have the ones at the front of the Eglu.

Bokashi bran arrived today so going to see if them firms them up a bit! I have become poo obsessed!

i think the pooh obsession goes with the territory! :lol:

could I trouble you to measuse that litter tray too, please , :) base & rim, :oops:

You should see my 2 "HOUSE" girls in front of fire! :oops:

ah bless makes you go all warm & glowey inside! :oops:

no problem, I will measure it tomorrow when I take the pics.

I know I brought it from Wilkinsons as it still has the sticker on! (OH wanted me to throw it out when the cats realised they could go outside! I knew it would come in handy!)

thank you, we don't have a Wilkinsons here, but I am sure armed with the right measurements there will be one somewhere. :)

No Wilkies!!!!!????? How do you survive!!!!?? LOL :lol:

Most of my chicken keeping kit has been purchased from Wilkies!

Cat Litter tray for bed

grit feeder

dust bath (another litter tray)

food storage buckets, s

"Ooops, word censored!"er for bars,

scrub brush for cleaning eglu

scrib brush for cleaning me

Rake for sorting bark

the list goes on......

Will measure tomorrow and if you can`t get one i`ll post u one if they still do them.

Hope the house chooks are ok and not making the others too jealous!