Boris70

Big chooks noiser than bantams?

Hi,

I've had my 4 pekin bantams for just over 4 months now, and am gradually wearing OH down into getting a purple eglu too.

I'd like to get some big chooks (rescue hens), but was wondering about how noisy big ones are as opposed to the bantams - who are geting noisier and noiser when they see me - as I = nice things. No complaints as yet (fingers crossed).

Has anyone got both? I'd keep them separate - maybe letting them out to free range together if they got on OK - but they'd sleep and live all days separately.

Thanks

Vicki

I have had both and I'd say it's down to the individual chicken! One of my hybrids was very vocal but the other was quieter (too busy eating :lol: ). Three of my bantams are noisey before and after laying each day, but one of them really shouts about it!

Go for it ............. and good luck!

Jools is right. Some hens just talk more than others, but hybrids (big chooks) definitely make more noise. I have bantams and worry about the noise that some of them make when they lay an egg, but a neighbour 500 yards down the road has two big Omlet chooks and I can hear them kicking off in the morning when they want to be let out. She has said that she never hears mine though.

Jools is right. Some hens just talk more than others, but hybrids (big chooks) definitely make more noise. I have bantams and worry about the noise that some of them make when they lay an egg, but a neighbour 500 yards down the road has two big Omlet chooks and I can hear them kicking off in the morning when they want to be let out. She has said that she never hears mine though.

This is my worry, noise-wise - I have a very small garden and dont want to annoy the new neighbours (we've just moved in).

If I'm not letting them out to free-range regularly (I work full-time), are they still likely to kick off in the early morning because they want out, or will they be used to staying in the eglu run?! :shock:

Mine too Annie; they are perfectly happy in the run and only start fretting to get out if they can see me. I have spied on them from the top window before and they were happy as larry, but as soon as I went out they were throwing themselves at the run door and kicking up a stink - they are total monkeys :lol::lol:

Annie, I've never asked where you live, but we were over at Lacock Abbey and Avebury the other weekend, we can't have been far from you without realising it :roll:

Hi Annie,

I emailed you about a visit about a fortnight ago, but got no reply and assumed you must be on holiday! Perhaps it went to your spam folder :)

I've just this second pressed the Magic Button to order my eglu however, so I think now I'll just wait til it arrives - Thankyou very much for your kind offer though :)

Oh! So sorry! Email and I just don't seem to be getting on lately! Do tell us what colour eglu you have ordered! Any chickens to go in it?

Although orange is my favourite colour, I went for the green eglu - something to blend with the background!

I ordered a Miss Pepperpot and a Gingernut Ranger. I figured I would see how things went, and if I wanted to I could request a run converter for christmas so I could get another chicken in the Spring 8)

:lol::lol: It's that slippery slope - a run converter so you can get more chickens, that's how I ended up with 7 :roll: We're like those women who can't stop having babies :lol::lol:

Everyone thinks I'm mad for spending £340 on an eglu in the first place - except the people who already have one, and are eglu-enlightened (eglightened?) - without me turning into the "Crazy Chicken Lady!" as well! ;)

Mine too Annie; they are perfectly happy in the run and only start fretting to get out if they can see me. I have spied on them from the top window before and they were happy as larry, but as soon as I went out they were throwing themselves at the run door and kicking up a stink - they are total monkeys :lol::lol:

Mine are just the opposite - they make noise to get me out of the house, then when I appear they pace quietly up and down looking all innocent, so I can't even do the water-spray thing!

Migsy grumbles to be let out, but worst of all is if there's no breakfast waiting for Not-So-Angelic-a when she gets up at 5.30am...

Bu-KARK-buk-buk-buk! Bu-KARK-buk-buk-buk! Bu-KARK-buk-buk-buk!

:roll::roll::roll: