Kim Gardner

Indoor Rabbits?

Hi Kim - I have a semi house rabbit. Coffee (who is supposed to be a dwarf, but isn't) spends summer outside and winter inside. She is as good as gold when she is indoors and we simply move her litter tray inside from her bunny hutch to her chosen corner in the kitchen. They do like to hide in dark corners though (Coffee likes hiding in the fireplace) so it might be an idea for your sister to block up any bolt holes around washing machines, fridges etc. She will also need to keep the rabbit's nails well clipped as they can cause havoc with upholstery, and houseplants tend to get nibbled too if they are in reach.

I enjoy having her in the house and she acts like a cat most of the time, snuggling up on the sofa to watch TV with us sometimes.

hi Jangle

do you not find that your rabbit wants to eat the wiring on the telly etc? Our first rabbit was like yours in and out but he would try to eat through any cables he found. We would have to keep aclose eye on him. Towards the end of his life however he was indoors all the time and we had no probs then as he would hardly move. He died with us in the living room :(

Jasper, the rabbit we have now only comes inside if he needs to be dried after getting soaked from the rain. He has free range of the garden everyday. He is a nightmare indoors and pees everywhere and scratches and chews everything. He isn't that keen on the laminate flooring anyway. So he is definatly an outdoor one. I would love to train one to live indoors though. Maybe we'll do that when we get another.

Hi Emma.

Coffee did cause us to get a new phone because she chewed through the wire of the old one, but you can now get covers for wires that are rabbit proof. We tend to tuck wires were she can't get to them, but you do have to keep an eye on her. She's still young yet - only 14 months old so she is still experimenting with things.

She's very well housetrained and uses her litter tray 99% of the time. We do find the occasional stray 'bunny currant' though but as they are dry this isn't a problem.

i have a rabbit (phoebe) she's 4 & she spends her winters in the house & her summers in a 5 foot hutch outside. i had a bit of trouble with her chewing through wire but i managed to teach her the word no, so now if she ever ventures towards the t.v, i say no to her & she turns around rather disgruntled. i don't see why you can't have an elgu on the house, you don't have to have the run attatched & the bunny would benefit from somewhere to hide.

Hi there

I have two lovely mini lop rabbits, who mainly live outdoors, but visit inside too. You really need to have the house bunny-proofed as they can happily chew through electric cables very quickly! I got our girls from www.rossrabbits.co.uk, a breeder in Ross on wye - Karen is very knowledgeable and her site has loads of info and advice. Mini lops are very docile and have great personalities, so I can recommend them as indoor bunnies. But you have to be aware that bunnies aren't as biddable as cats or dogs.

Good luck

Clare Taylor

Edited by Guest

We have a lop called Jingles who is my girlfriends daughters rabbit. She lives outside during the day but comes inside everynight. The house needed to be rabbit proofed and she loves chewing the buttons off remote controls.

She has a dog basket in the kitchen which is her bed for the night and a couple of litter trays in the other rooms so she can sit in them(her 'safe areas')

She also has a variety of cat toys to play with aswell as toilet roll tubes & a big cardboard box with 2 holes in it - She loves being inside as she can have some fuss whenever she wants :lol:

Jason